Substrate for baby sulcata

Justincl

Location (City and/or State)
Jakarta
Hi so i've been wondering which substrate is good for baby sulcatas because here in indonesia I only trust exoterra as it is the brand that i trust most since I have no access to zoo med. So I need help on which substrate to use as here exoterrra provides plantation soil,forest moss and coco husk. Also do i have to get isopods for waste clean up crew? And will the baby sulcata eat the substrate and if it does will he/she get impaction?

Hamiltondood

Richmond, Texas
Hi so i've been wondering which substrate is good for baby sulcatas because here in indonesia I only trust exoterra as it is the brand that i trust most since I have no access to zoo med. So I need help on which substrate to use as here exoterrra provides plantation soil,forest moss and coco husk. Also do i have to get isopods for waste clean up crew? And will the baby sulcata eat the substrate and if it does will he/she get impaction?
don't get any moss, your tortoise will get impacted from it
i recommend eco earth/coco coir/coco husk for hatchlings. make sure to pack it down and add water every week or so.
you'd have no problem with humidity in a closed chamber
you can also use some orchid/fir bark
you dont NEED any isopods but they're great to have in the enclosure, you can also add springtails so that the isopods and springtails will compete for food/waste.
here are some helpful caresheets:

Last edited:

Justincl

Jakarta
don't get any moss, youre tortoise will get impacted from it
i recommend eco earth/coco coir/coco husk for hatchlings. make sure to pack it down and add water every week or so.
you'd have no problem with humidity in a closed chamber
you can also use some orchid/fir bark
you dont NEED any isopods but they're great to have in the enclosure, you can also add springtails so that the population of the isopods and springtails will compete for food/waste.
the tortoise won't eat the substrate if you provide enough food and the right care.
here are some helpful caresheets:
Ah ok thx for the info

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Plantation Soil is coco husk, so is fine to use.

There is a product called Forest Floor substrate which is cypress mulch, so good to use. It is made by ZooMed, but a good product.

I agree about any kind of moss...do not use.

Torts aren't likely to eat either coco husk or cypress mulch, but if they do eat some, it should pass through OK.

Justincl

Jakarta
Plantation Soil is coco husk, so is fine to use.

There is a product called Forest Floor substrate which is cypress mulch, so good to use. It is made by ZooMed, but a good product.

I agree about any kind of moss...do not use.
Are you sure? They both have different packaging

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201102-162144_Tokopedia.jpg
    Screenshot_20201102-162144_Tokopedia.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20201102-162132_Tokopedia.jpg
    Screenshot_20201102-162132_Tokopedia.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 10

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Orchid bark, also called fir bark, is the best substrate for them. Coco coir can work too, but its messy. Make a thick layer of the coco coir and hand pack it down. Always keep it damp, but not wet.

Justincl

Jakarta
Orchid bark, also called fir bark, is the best substrate for them. Coco coir can work too, but its messy. Make a thick layer of the coco coir and hand pack it down. Always keep it damp, but not wet.
Is this orchid bark? Since its hard to find some things here and by coco coir do you mean plantaion soil or coco husk?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201102-192119_Tokopedia.jpg
    Screenshot_20201102-192119_Tokopedia.jpg
    283.8 KB · Views: 9

Justincl

Jakarta
Or this??

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201102-192247_Tokopedia.jpg
    Screenshot_20201102-192247_Tokopedia.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 4

Rijal

Jakarta, Indonesia
You won't be able to find fir bark / repti bark in Indonesia. The closest thing I can find is something called "forest bark". However it is made from pine, so I will not use it. What I use is a thick layer of plantation soil and a thin layer of small coco husk on top to make it less messy. Plantation soil alone will be enough.