substrate and uvb asking for experienced advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

philipsr26

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
san bernardino
i just got a sulcata hatch-ling iv always been a tortoise lover and just recently moved in to a house with a big yard and with that came my reality of being able to have a big tort so i got a sulcata for the reason that they do get really big but for now its just a baby and i have been stressing alot about how to care for it the proper way diet exercise habitat etc my wife has been getting jealous of speedy but any ways iam looking for good advice on what to provide him with what type of lighting supplement substrates etc right now he is in an aquarium with the sides masked off so he cant see through with a small heat pad under it a 75 wt heat bulb and ceramic socket dome and a makeshift humid hide witch he doesn't seem to like and alfalfa pellets for substrates which i know i should be using some thing moist but iam working on a budget so lil by lil ill get what the experts advise me that ill need and any secrets on preventing pyramiding your help will be greatly appreciated

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The main "secret" to avoiding the pyramiding is your substrate. You have to have some ambient humidity in the habitat, and you can't have that with pellets as the substrate. You need a substrate that you can moisten.

Yvonne

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
yeah i agree with yvonne. also diet and exercise are benificial to sulcatas too. i noticed a big difference when i upgraded my sulcatas to a big enclosure for them to roam.

Status
Not open for further replies.