Substrate and humidity

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsr8129

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I have changed over my substrate to eco-earth, and saw that most mix in sand 50/50, is it necessary to mix in sand? currently i am just using straight eco-earth any reason to mix in sand? Also what should the humidity be? i cant find a straight answer.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Most say to mix in the sand so it provides additional footing/traction, and makes it easier to burrow. There isn't a specific husbandry reason to need to use sand, so if just the straight eco earth works for you and the tort that would likely be fine. I haven't found a humidity suggestion for the substrate, but your tort probably has a suggested range based upon care sheets. The substrate should have water added to it (such as under the heat lamp) to keep it moist but not damp. Most find pouring water on and mixing it up works well as a spray bottle usually doesn't add enough.

M

Maggie Cummings

The sand holds moisture in the substrate and hence creates humidity. And it also helps to hold it's shape for them to burrow in. If you mixed in the sand 50/50 or less it won't be the irritant you are expecting it to be. Then you pour water over the substrate every couple of days and that's what makes the humidity. You are thinking about ambient humidity but actually it's humidity at the substrate level that you should be concerned with......

bsr8129

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks for the help, looks like ill be heading to lowes for some sand, plus ill need it for my other little guy. for humidity at the substrate level what should it ideally be? and what is the best way to measure it? currently i am using a humidity gauge stuck on the side of the cage about 1/2 way down, ill move it closer to the substrate to get a better reading.

M

Maggie Cummings

I mean no disrespect when I say you are over thinking this. Just keep the substrate damp and that's good enough. I have been keeping tortoises for a number of years now and I have never had a humidity guage. I just keep the substrate damp...If I had to guess it would be about 70%

bsr8129

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
No disrespect, i tend to over do it when i get new pets, and want to get the idea conditions for them. I understand the general feelings for the substrate, keeping damp.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
You can buy a cheap gauge and set it on the substrate to give you an idea. I never mounted mine since I like to move it around so I have a measurable comparison (I'm a numbers person). Damp and warm is good, but if your temperatures are not warm enough you cannot go quite so damp, as damp and cold is bad. The humidity is especially important for Sulcatas due to recent research regarding humid burrows preventing/minimizing pyramiding of the shell. The moisture in the substrate is important as they are burrowing in it and walking over it. I also over-do new things. :) Just reading the posts here puts you way ahead of the average owner.

nrfitchett4

5 Year Member
yep, just dumped 2 qts of hot water on the dirt this afternoon and mixed it around. I usually do that twice a week. I stuck the probe of the hygrometer in the substrate before work but forgot to go back and check it. Guess I'll see what it is in the morning.

M

Maggie Cummings

tortoisenerd said:
You can buy a cheap gauge and set it on the substrate to give you an idea. I never mounted mine since I like to move it around so I have a measurable comparison (I'm a numbers person). Damp and warm is good, but if your temperatures are not warm enough you cannot go quite so damp, as damp and cold is bad. The humidity is especially important for Sulcatas due to recent research regarding humid burrows preventing/minimizing pyramiding of the shell. The moisture in the substrate is important as they are burrowing in it and walking over it. I also over-do new things. :) Just reading the posts here puts you way ahead of the average owner.

You are exactly right and I should have remembered to say that...damp and warm is fine cold and damp is not. That's something very important to say...

Status
Not open for further replies.