Styrofoam?

JennBell0725

5 Year Member
I was letting my newest sulcata eat in the kitchen.(I got her while out of town) Anyway she had finished so I put her food on a Styrofoam plate and a few minutes later I heard crunching and she had taken little bites out of it around over half of the perimeter. How worried should I be?
(Yes I realize in hindsight that it was a very stupid idea)

Barista5261

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Florida
How big is your sulcata?

I would give her extra soaks and feed her a little bit of plain pumpkin. It acts as a laxative for them and will help her pass the styrofoam.

Also, do you have a cuttle bone in her enclosure? Torts go after white things sometimes if they have a mineral deficiency. They also eat white things out of sheer curiosity sometimes.

JennBell0725

5 Year Member
Barista5261 said:
How big is your sulcata?

I would give her extra soaks and feed her a little bit of plain pumpkin. It acts as a laxative for them and will help her pass the styrofoam.

Also, do you have a cuttle bone in her enclosure? Torts go after white things sometimes if they have a mineral deficiency. They also eat white things out of sheer curiosity sometimes.

She isn't in an enclosure yet, I'm here for another week and a half so she is chilling inside with supervised outside time. She is a little over 14" and only took tiny bites. I'll pick her up some cuttlebone and pumpkin though. She is getting daily soaks right now also.

motero

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I would not be to worried, most likely it will pass without any problems. Some foam blew into my yard and one 12 inch sulcata at alot of it. She never showed any signs of trouble and it passed through with out complications. That was a year ago. Speeding it up is probably a good idea.