Stupid Mistake, Bear with me...

SasquatchTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Forth Worth, Texas
I used a small amount of fill dirt to help stabilize the area around the Tortoise's burrow a few months back. It was so hot that all of the garden plants were dead at this point and didn't think much harm could be done, considering it was a very small amount of dirt in a large enclosure. however, a small potato plant managed to pop out of the dirt. I didn't think too much of it since it was wedged in between a few stones until I noticed some of the plant was missing today. It is hard to say how much, but maybe 1-2 small buds with several leaves around 2.5 inches or less ( I don't know for sure). My sulcata weighed in around 25 lbs the last time I checked, although it's been a while, so she may weigh more (I'll get a weight as soon as possible)
I removed the remaining plant and attempted to give her (most likely him) a soak, but she didn't really want to cooperate today, so it was short. During the cooler weather, she sleeps in a night box in a greenhouse (well, more like a shed).
So what do I need to do regarding solanine toxicity? The Tortoise table lists it as 'do not feed' and a quick google search says:
"PGA in seven potato varieties were determined by HPLC. Tubers protected from light contained 0.05-0.65 mg/100 g alpha-solanine and 0.3-0.63 mg/100 g alpha-chaconine. Concentrations in leaf samples ranged from 0.64 to 22.6 mg alpha-solanine/100 g and 0.06 to 55.7 mg alpha-chaconine/100 g." National Institutes of Health, https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/8655092/#:~:text=PGA in seven potato varieties,alpha-chaconine/100 g.
That number leaves a lot of room for error...
I also read that 20-40 mg is fatal to a "child," but of course tortoises aren't humans. I'm also pretty sure it was less than 100g, although I don't know for sure. When I'm done writing this, I'll go and try to figure out what 100g of potato leaves would look like.
So what should I do to treat this? There is no more risk of her eating anymore potato (though I still have to be vigilant about acorns, as they have given her problems). Is it treatable with charcoal? Am I just worrying too much? Thank you in advance for the answers, and sorry about my dumb mistake.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
What else has she eaten apart from the potato plant?

SasquatchTortoise

Forth Worth, Texas
What else has she eaten apart from the potato plant?
Today I fed her frisee, belgian endive, dandelion greens, and red lettuce (for some extra water). She grazes on grass and weeds as well. It's possible she may have eaten a small amount of spurge or mint, as I am constantly battling it in the enclosure, but that's the only poisonous plant that she might have eaten.

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
I used a small amount of fill dirt to help stabilize the area around the Tortoise's burrow a few months back. It was so hot that all of the garden plants were dead at this point and didn't think much harm could be done, considering it was a very small amount of dirt in a large enclosure. however, a small potato plant managed to pop out of the dirt. I didn't think too much of it since it was wedged in between a few stones until I noticed some of the plant was missing today. It is hard to say how much, but maybe 1-2 small buds with several leaves around 2.5 inches or less ( I don't know for sure). My sulcata weighed in around 25 lbs the last time I checked, although it's been a while, so she may weigh more (I'll get a weight as soon as possible)
I removed the remaining plant and attempted to give her (most likely him) a soak, but she didn't really want to cooperate today, so it was short. During the cooler weather, she sleeps in a night box in a greenhouse (well, more like a shed).
So what do I need to do regarding solanine toxicity? The Tortoise table lists it as 'do not feed' and a quick google search says:
"PGA in seven potato varieties were determined by HPLC. Tubers protected from light contained 0.05-0.65 mg/100 g alpha-solanine and 0.3-0.63 mg/100 g alpha-chaconine. Concentrations in leaf samples ranged from 0.64 to 22.6 mg alpha-solanine/100 g and 0.06 to 55.7 mg alpha-chaconine/100 g." National Institutes of Health, https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/8655092/#:~:text=PGA in seven potato varieties,alpha-chaconine/100 g.
That number leaves a lot of room for error...
I also read that 20-40 mg is fatal to a "child," but of course tortoises aren't humans. I'm also pretty sure it was less than 100g, although I don't know for sure. When I'm done writing this, I'll go and try to figure out what 100g of potato leaves would look like.
So what should I do to treat this? There is no more risk of her eating anymore potato (though I still have to be vigilant about acorns, as they have given her problems). Is it treatable with charcoal? Am I just worrying too much? Thank you in advance for the answers, and sorry about my dumb mistake.
I'm definitely not an expert, but I know how to worry. I think she didn't get enough to hurt her. You could do charcoal if it'll help you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
...and attempted to give her (most likely him) a soak, but she didn't really want to cooperate today, so it was short.
I don't think anyone can answer your question about the toxicity, but I hope the tortoise survives and is fine.

I wanted to comment on the above quote. I don't understand. Either you lift the tortoise into a vat of warm water or you don't. Why is the tortoise's cooperation necessary? What does "cooperation" with soaking look like? If you mean that the tortoise gets fussy and tries to climb out of the soaking tub, you should leave the tortoise in. We call that the tortoise treadmill. Its good for them and good exercise. If you mean that you are doing this in some sort of low sided shallow tub and the tortoise is walking out of it, then you need a bigger better soaking tub. I bring this all up because good hydration and passing feces may help reduce the toxic effects of the potato leaves. I'd be soaking daily for an hour or more for a couple of weeks.

SasquatchTortoise

Forth Worth, Texas
I don't think anyone can answer your question about the toxicity, but I hope the tortoise survives and is fine.

I wanted to comment on the above quote. I don't understand. Either you lift the tortoise into a vat of warm water or you don't. Why is the tortoise's cooperation necessary? What does "cooperation" with soaking look like? If you mean that the tortoise gets fussy and tries to climb out of the soaking tub, you should leave the tortoise in. We call that the tortoise treadmill. Its good for them and good exercise. If you mean that you are doing this in some sort of low sided shallow tub and the tortoise is walking out of it, then you need a bigger better soaking tub. I bring this all up because good hydration and passing feces may help reduce the toxic effects of the potato leaves. I'd be soaking daily for an hour or more for a couple of weeks.
I've been looking for a better soaking tub, as mine is somewhat shallow and she can nearly get out. I'm going to see if I can distract her with food, which usually works

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've been looking for a better soaking tub, as mine is somewhat shallow and she can nearly get out. I'm going to see if I can distract her with food, which usually works
I use rubber tubs or horse troughs from the local feed store. Lots of different sizes available.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll look for one while I get some hay.
Tom has decades of experience, and that gives him the confidence to know with what and how to treat problems with tortoises (and other animals) and advise people who need help. I definitely agree about making the tortoise stay in the soaking tub until YOU decide he has had enough. Keep us updated, please! Plus, I don't agree about using any charcoal. If the tortoise is eating and acting normally, then just do the soaks and let it be, and keep removing any plants that are said to be toxic.