Stupid bugs!

tortgirl123

My plants in my enclosure have really taken off ( more than expected! :) ) but these dumb texas bugs keep eating them!! I can't do anything right now because I really don't want to put a pesticide on it, and poison Hercules. Any suggestions? Here are some pictures of what these insects have been doing!
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1400189942.541335.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1400189955.780714.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1400189969.581860.jpg

vanisle09

I know ladybugs eat spider mites and aphids. You could net the plants and let some ladybugs loose inside.
A good garden centre will sell ladybugs.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Tort girl if you plant some marigolds and spray them down with one teaspoon of dish soap to a gallon of water this should deter the bugs

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

happyjoyjoy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
I had the SAME exact problem 2 weeks ago! My plants were covered, I mean COVERED in aphids... posted a thread on TFO about it and they suggested lady bugs which I purchased and it helped a little bit but in the end I had to rip everything out :( I let the area dry out for a week and didn't find anymore aphids so I just got some organic sod and then put everything else in pots, then got more ladybugs and pill bugs to manage the pests....... so far its been a week and have seen no bugs/aphids etc. good luck!

happyjoyjoy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
Tort girl if you plant some marigolds and spray them down with one teaspoon of dish soap to a gallon of water this should deter the bugs
Can you explain how this works exactly. I would like to know as well :) so if you think I plant a pot of marigolds and spray them with a mixture of dish soap and water it will keep aphids out of my entire outdoor enclosure? its only 20 ft by 4 ft.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
You will find marigolds are edible a lot of insects don't like marigolds so by mixing the plants in with your plants it will deter the insects
And putting one teaspoon of dish soap in a gallon of water it's a natural pest aside as you now dish soap on dishes don't hurt people or torts but tastes bad