Stunted leopard

TheLastGreen

Location (City and/or State)
Johannesburg
I am getting a leopard tort, 5 years old and the plastron length is 11 cm.
It feels like the bugger is in a grey zone between baby and adult care so I need help.
@Tom has helped me with the diet. (It needs to be greens etc. like for smaller torts)
But, I need help with its housing. Should I keep it outdoors or indoors? I think outdoors in the day, indoor at night, until I get a heated nightbox. (The day time temps where I am is 31 C, night time around 16-20C, which is a too cold in my opinion)
Are there any other tips aswell to give my tort the best possible life it could have?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am getting a leopard tort, 5 years old and the plastron length is 11 cm.
It feels like the bugger is in a grey zone between baby and adult care so I need help.
@Tom has helped me with the diet. (It needs to be greens etc. like for smaller torts)
But, I need help with its housing. Should I keep it outdoors or indoors? I think outdoors in the day, indoor at night, until I get a heated nightbox. (The day time temps where I am is 31 C, night time around 16-20C, which is a too cold in my opinion)
Are there any other tips aswell to give my tort the best possible life it could have?
My preference is both. Have a large closed chamber indoor enclosure of around 4x8 feet (122x244cm), and also have a large safe outdoor enclosure for favorable weather. As they gain size, I leave them outside more and more. At some point when they are 20-25cm, I put an insulated temperature controlled night box in the outdoor pen, and let them live outside permanently.

Babies are mostly kept indoors, but they get some occasional outside time too. Older babies and small juveniles spend more and more time outside. Larger juveniles eventually get moved outside full time and stay that way into adulthood. For me, indoor enclosures are just the best way to get a tortoise large enough to go live outside. The temperature controlled night box just allows us to maintain the correct temperatures when Mother Nature isn't cooperating.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Please post pictures of your tortoise when you get him.