Study aims to solve turtle deaths mystery

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
AAP, October 22, 2014,
Researchers are trying to solve the mystery of what caused the mass strandings and deaths of green turtles in Queensland's far north two years ago

They are tagging hundreds of turtles along the Great Barrier Reef as part of a project to try and prevent more deaths.

WWF-Australia's national manager for species Darren Grover says the aim is to work out which contaminants are in the water, the degree to which green turtles are absorbing them and how this may impact their health.

"Turtles are a good barometer of reef health and the contaminants affecting them are also likely to be impacting other marine creatures," he said.
"Finding out which chemicals are a problem will help government and industry target programs to prevent potential toxins from entering the Reef."

Researchers from WWF-Australian and the Banrock Station Environmental Trust have so far caught, tagged and measured about 700 turtles along the reef.

Samples of blood, shell and stomach contents have been taken from many of the turtles to give scientists a clearer picture of the animal's potential exposure to chemicals.

It's hoped the study will to help figure out why about 100 green turtles stranded at Upstart Bay, south of Townsville, in 2012 .

Some of the samples taken during the study, of which results won't be available for about three and half years, will be compared to those taken from turtles that died in the stranding.

Queensland Environment Minister Andrew Powell says it shouldn't be assumed contaminants in the water are to blame for the animals' deaths.

"I think that's answering the question before we've done the research," he told the ABC.

"I stress every study we've done to date hasn't produced a definitive case."

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sure hope they can figure this out. However, I thought it was a type of algae, which for the life of me, I can't think of. It's a big bloom strike of this type algae that is very dangerous and poisonous to many things. They also have this type of an algae strike in fresh water too, probably a different type of algae, but acts in the same way. There was just one in one of the Great Lakes that closed down the water supply until the algae dissipated. It comes quickly and almost leaves just as quickly. I will try to find the name of it.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Very interesting guys....thanks for sharing. I Love me some sea turtles :) It's so sad to hear about so many unknown deaths, when they die as it is every day from known ways which can be prevented :(