Stretching?

Theodorian66

Location (City and/or State)
Northern sacromento valley, CA
So my baby sulcata is active, eating, pooping, ect.
But, I've noticed he'll be strolling along and out if no where he'll stretch out one of his back legs real far and kinda rotate it.
It kinda looks like he's doing windmills with his back legs. He'll do this for a second, then continue on his merry way.
Normal behavior?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Mine don't do that, so it seems odd to me.

How are you housing him? What are your four temps? Warm side, cools side, basking area, overnight low? What heating and lighting equipment are you using to maintain those temps? Soaking daily? Maintaining humidity?

Here is the care info. Most of what is out there is wrong and will often lead to sickness or death.
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Theodorian66

Basking spot stays between 100-110
Hot area stays at 90-95
Cool area stays at about 80
And night time low in his cage does not fall below 75-80,
I have a hollowed out log hide that I soak twice a week in water, all day.
Every morning I mist/spray down his cage real good till the habitat bark is saturated.
We also spray him down really good multiple times a day with the mist bottle.
We have him on a 20 minute soak twice weekly.

For equipment we are using a zoo med desert uvb/lighting kit for his basking area, which sits above a large flat stone for him to bask on.
Along the remainder of his habitat we have a uvb strip and then a night time heat lamp covering the center of the habitat for heat at night.
He's living in a 55 gallon tank with the ends and the back covered in a desert like decoration.

He is super active, eating, pooping, basking, going in and out of hide. Going in and out of water dish. Alert.
Just wasn't sure is tortoises stretch like the rest of us lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
One possibility is constipation. When they get constipated it can affect their back legs sometimes. Babies need to be soaked every day. Soak for 45-60 minutes for two or three days and then cut back to the normal 20-30 minutes a day after that. Soak in a warm area and kep the water warm for the whole time. Maybe that will get things moving in the GI tract and help a bit.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
So my baby sulcata is active, eating, pooping, ect.
But, I've noticed he'll be strolling along and out if no where he'll stretch out one of his back legs real far and kinda rotate it.
It kinda looks like he's doing windmills with his back legs. He'll do this for a second, then continue on his merry way.
Normal behavior?

The CDTs and Redfoot torts do that jig as well....????

Theodorian66

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA
It's not like that, it's like as he's walking hell stretch out his back legs one at a time, kinda twirl them, then continue in his merry way.
I've upped his soaking schedule to 20-30 minutes everyday, and he's still acting normal. Eating, active, pooping, Baskin, ect.
But, still occasionally hell stretch his back legs out.

Maybe he was a yoga instructor in previous life :)

madbad

Sacramento, Ca
My boy doesn't twirl. He does stretch out his back legs when he is basking or nice and warm in a soak.

Total newb here though