Stressed?

Higgy

Location (City and/or State)
London
I am brand new to this. Just brought my little guy home on Saturday. He was hiding in his hide zone for a few days covered up by his coconut mulch. The last few days he has been out but today he is hiding under the mulch near the basking spot. I found the mulch really.dry today so I sprayed it with water and mixed it up. He has only had one poop since being home. Has been eating spinach leaves no problem. He was given a soak yesterday but just climbed around. Not sure if he is ok. Today I was checking on him and I heard the ever faintest click noise. No bubbles but I think its when he is breathing. I might be paranoid. Maybe I am bothering him too much because I am worried? I dont know. Any guidance welcome.

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
Lay off the spinach. Try to mix up his greens using broadleaf weeds. Spinach should be a rarity. Also as he has only been home @4 days, he might just need to breathe a little and destress from all the change in short life.

Higgy

London
Lay off the spinach. Try to mix up his greens using broadleaf weeds. Spinach should be a rarity. Also as he has only been home @4 days, he might just need to breathe a little and destress from all the change in short life.

So I dont need to worry about the weird noise? It's a soft click sound only sometimes when he breathes? I was worried about ri...

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
What's your temperature at? Basking and ambient? It may be a respiratory issue but more knowledgeable people then me would be better able to answer that.

Higgy

London
I will do that. He is eating lots and the noise isn't consistent. I think I am being paranoid. I have had reptiles but not a tortoise. So this is all new and tons to learn as you go. Our family just loves this little guy so much we dont want anything to happen to him. I will give him a warm soak tonight. How often do you soak yours?

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
I will do that. He is eating lots and the noise isn't consistent. I think I am being paranoid. I have had reptiles but not a tortoise. So this is all new and tons to learn as you go. Our family just loves this little guy so much we dont want anything to happen to him. I will give him a warm soak tonight. How often do you soak yours?
I soak my yearlings every day, my adult 4 3 times a week as it’s hot at the moment. I had a similar scare with one of my tortoises when I got them, im sure your little guy is fine.

Higgy

London
One more thing. I am having trouble keeping the substrate even a little damp. Seems my house is dry. We are using coconut bark. Should I use something different? I am spraying during the day but I feel like I am having to keep spraying it dries so fast. The whole way is dry through it. My understanding is the substrate should be slightly damp on the bottom.