Strawberries & Leopards...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blondeangel

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Charleston, SC
I just had a quick question - while reading On africantortoise.com I saw listed under edible plants strawberries. I thought Leopards had kind of a stricter "no fruit" diet. If they are allowed strawberries would it be considered more treat-like (couple times a month?) or can they eat them 2-3 times a week?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Its kind of like candy for humans. A little bit, once in a while won't kill you, but its not really good for you either. I usually skip that sort of thing altogether.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Remember, edible really just means not poisonous, not necessarily a good diet.

Blondeangel

5 Year Member
Charleston, SC
Right now my little Leopoard (he's nit named yet - only had him for about 2 days) is on a diet of finely chopped kale, spring mix(excluding spinach) and mushed up cactus pear fruit..I am just trying to find variety easy for him to eat. I am also unsure of his weight-he is 26g-27g (depending on weight morning or night) is this ok or too small?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
How old is the tortoise? they'll grow at all different rates so don't be alarmed when I say this but I think the weight might be a little low for the size of tortoise you have in your picture. That diet seems really good, so as long as he's eating and pooping you shouldn't worry at all. I would just avoid the strawberries all together, there's better things to fill him up with. Try some other greens like escarole, mustard greens, dandelion greens.

Blondeangel

5 Year Member
Charleston, SC
I am not sure of the age exactly...I am thinking just a few weeks. Eating he is doing a lot of, pooping I haven't seen much of. He is now up to 36g - so I believe that is a good sign :)

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Blondeangel said:
I am not sure of the age exactly...I am thinking just a few weeks. Eating he is doing a lot of, pooping I haven't seen much of. He is now up to 36g - so I believe that is a good sign :)

Wow, good job!

Status
Not open for further replies.