Strange worm in Hermes poop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WI
Yes it is bad. It means that he has parasites. And from the looks of it, adults as well as eggs. You need to have him wormed.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Shawn, if you kept that poo with the worm take it to your vet and do it ASAP. If not take a sample of his poo to your vet and a pic of this worm. I would say your Greek does have worms and that one is not a pin worm. You definitely need to have him seen by a vet or at least his poo and right away and I will bet a deworming is in order. :( Thats a pretty good sized worm.

Enoyls

5 Year Member
I did not think to keep the worm, I will check around for another but will at least take a poo sample with me to the vet.

Thanks guys!

Enoyls

5 Year Member
Met a Vet at Repticon 2009 today (won tickets to the GA Aquarium in their drawing while i was there! w00t!) and will be taking Hermes to see him this coming week.

On a scale of 1 to 10 how bad is a round worm?

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
Enoyls said:
Met a Vet at Repticon 2009 today (won tickets to the GA Aquarium in their drawing while i was there! w00t!) and will be taking Hermes to see him this coming week.

On a scale of 1 to 10 how bad is a round worm?

I'm not sure what the scale would be, but it seems pretty bad, especially seeing as that one is big, which like the others said probably means eggs. Is this the earliest you can see him?

Also be careful with yourself too, we can get them from the animals as well. Wash your hands thoroughly before and after picking up Hermes and possibly even wear gloves. It can indeed cause death if not caught fast enough, especially in smaller animals. However sometimes it doesn't do much. But better safe than sorry.

Enoyls

5 Year Member
Hermes has been treated and is doing fine. Found a great Vet that is only 15mi away from the house that specializes in Exotic Animals including Turtles/Tortoises. She even has a few so she had plenty of good advice and stories to tell. Spent a good hour chatting with her and learning while she checked Hermes out and gave him some worm meds.

Thanks everyone for the help and advice.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
good news :D I am glad Hermes is doing good and I am glad you found a good exotic vet, they can be hard to find sometimes.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Hi Shawn, I was just curious about roundworms in torts. I know with dogs and cats in is pretty species specific.. Although there are cases of people getting it, it has to be a pretty good set up of circumstances to get it. Mostly due to improper hygiene. Robs, right wash hands, but I would bet mostly everyone here is pretty darn good at that.
Is it something you treat once?(In dogs you really have to do it more than once) And do you use something like pyrantal palmanate? It mammels it seems to not really affect the pet unless it gets pretty infested. Worries, concerns, long term affects? I suppose I could just try to google it, but it's nice to converse with people here online. I am getting into the swing of it.
thanks ,nay

Enoyls

5 Year Member
The Vet could not specifically speciate the worm just by my picture so the next time I find a good fresh dropping i'm going to drop it by to have them check. I took some with us but it wasn't fresh enough to run a fecal test on. If the meds work we won't need to worry about it though :)

For the worms, She gave him .2mls of Fenebendazole-Panacur and I am to repeat that treatment in 1 week. She said this was treatable and should be knocked out with this round of meds.

We definitely have the Purel by his enclosure and Anti-Bacterial Soap by all the sinks making sure to wash after handling him.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Shawn good to hear you found a good vet close by and that of course Hermes will be fine. I had to go back and refresh my memory as to the size of Hermes. He is about 4.5 inches and 400 grams. Good thing large worm wasn't in a tiny hatchling would have filled it to the brim.

Status
Not open for further replies.