Strange looking urine

Zela

hi there,

I'm new to this forum and hoping you can help. Our spur-thighed tortoise is a 7 year old female about to begin her first proper fridge hibernation. She has semi-hibernated before but this will be her first in a fridge at a consistent temperature. We have been following vets advice and bathing her twice a day for the last two weeks and she hasn't eaten for about three-four weeks. She hadn't voided for about 4 days so today was meant to be the day, but we have just noticed a thick, brown jellyish something on the floor of her cage - we think it is urine, but it's never ever looked like this! Does anyone know what this is? Should we be worried? And is it safe to hibernate her? Thanks for your help!
image.jpg image.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I would take that in to the vet and get his advice. It might be nothing, just whatever's left inside the bladder coming out, and it might mean a health problem. I've never seen that before.

...oh, and, "Welcome to the Forum!!"

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Welcome!
Is your tort a Greek? (aka, Spur Thighed Tort?)
If shes still peeping/pooping (because that could be some really weird poo!) I would wait a little bit more before starting hibernation.

Zela

Thanks for your replies. She is Greek.
She hasn't voided at all since Sunday. As this is the first time, I'm just petrified of everything going wrong!
Once we do decide to hibernate, do we put her in while she is sleeping or awake?
Thanks all

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I wouldn't allow her to hibernate until you find out from a vet just what that is. If the tortoise is sick hibernating will kill her.