Strange behaviour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tortoise lover 123

5 Year Member
My tortoise is 5 and is eating small bits of food then burying himself for the rest of the day but my bedding is sawdust and about 6 cm deep why is he doing this he's only been doing this for a couple of weeks so is it just a pause because it's winter I don't know

He's a horse field by the way

Tortoise lover 123

5 Year Member
Do you think that's it because before the sawdust he had San or wood chips was fine and I clean his viv every month o he is very clean the only strange one is he loves his lettuce or food in water

How many centremetres of wood chips should I have

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Russians tortoises will often bury themselves. It's very common for the species. But it is done most commonly because of environmental conditions. Extreme heat, cold, dryness, dampness and other factors usually play a part in Russian tortoises burying themselves for long periods of time. It would help greatly if you could tell us what daytime/nighttime and basking temperatures that your tortoise is exposed to along with how dry or moist that you are keeping him. General diet would also be helpful, as would how often he is drinking.

A tortoise eating food in water is not a normal activity so there is definitly something amiss if he will only eat food in water.

Sawdust is not a good substrate for tortoises. It is very dry, very dusty and some can contain oils that are respiratory irritants. There are many good substrates for Russians available including but not limited to different types of mulch mixtures, organic soils and more. Sites members all have their preferences and what works best in their enclosures for them.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Are we sure it's a Horsfields tortoise? It sounds like it might not be. Can you post pictures of your tortoise/turtle. That way we can help you figure out what he/she is.

Danny

Tortoise lover 123

5 Year Member
He eats it the food normal today in wood chips thanks zzzzzzzz and he eats his food out of water today nd normally does he just prefers it also he normally he usually buried at night but in the day sometimes maybe for about 4 hours

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Tortoise Lover 123:

Welcome to the forum!! May we know your name and where you're from?

Once you become acquainted with the format here on the forum, it would be a good idea for you to post some pictures of your tortoise and the place where he lives so we can better help you with your questions.

Looking forward to your pictures...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's good and I'm glad he's fine, but we'd still like to know your name, where you are and see your pictures! We really enjoy meeting our new forum members...not just when they're in need of help, but all the time (you know...in sickness and in health ;) )

Status
Not open for further replies.