Strange behavior HELP!

Lolly_g

One of my red foots has dig a hole in the enclosure and is acting really strange! She is sitting with her bum in the hole she dug pushing her head back and forth and there are some strange noises coming from in there. Hard to describe the noise but maybe slightly like a long popping noise but not really popping! The only thing I can think is she is laying eggs but she isn't very big and not sure what size/age they would be to so this? Neither tortoise has ever dug a hole before. I have sat up watching her as she was acting strange digging and I've not seen her do this before, although I haven't had them for long. What if she does have eggs but isn't big enough to pass them? I don't even know she's a she! Any ideas of anything else which would cause this behavior??

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Beaumont, CA.
Please give us more information on this tortoise.
Age, picture and a picture of her underside by the tail.
I have not had an issue like this but am sure others have.
Give all the info you can.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Did she dig with her back feet? If she did then I would say she is nesting . My reds will dig a hole and sleep in it . They make a clucking sound some times sounds like a chicken .

Lolly_g

I don't know her exact age but was told they where approx 5. The only picture I have of her underneath is not very good and I don't want to disturb her now. I thought I might be stressing her out watching over her so I'm now sitting the dark listening for strange noises! Didn't think I'd ever say I was sat up listening to my tortoise but her behavior is worrying me as she hasn't acted like this before, it may be perfectly normal and I'm just sitting here in the dark like an idiot! It's 1am
here

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1413159161.398473.jpg

She is the smaller one

Lolly_g

She just doesn't seem big enough to lay eggs but I don't know! She is small compared to her mate

Lolly_g

They do sort of scrape out a grove into the top of the substrate to sleep but only the top layer, she has actually dug a hole

Lolly_g

I've decided to leave her to it and I'll check on her first thing. After reading the post back I've realized I may be a bit paranoid that something strange is happening when it's not and sitting up all night cos my tortoise dug a hole is maybe a bit strange.

The tortoise is probably even wondering why I've been sitting there staring at her getting comfy in her hole for the night!

Thanks for replying and hopefully all is well and she just decided her normal sleeping spot wasn't comfortable enough!

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Get some sleep! It's something new and out of the ordinary but it doesn't sound life threatening. You're a typical worried parent, but ya can't stress too much. Sitting up all night isn't going to change anything. Let us know how things are tomorrow AFTER you sleep :p

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
My redfoot did this for about a week, I assumed maybe it was hormones or she was constipated, I don't really know. But nothing came out of it.

She had a respiratory infection at the time so when we went to x-ray her lungs, she had no eggs in her either. I wouldn't worry about it.