Store-bought food

Yelloweyed

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal California
So I thought I'd try some purchased dandelions and carrot tops. Some forum members have said that their torts didn't like the store-bought leaves. As a backup, I'm glad to say that Anna and the desert torts had no problem with the store-bought dandelions. They were less than impressed with the carrot top leaves though.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1446590293.697488.jpg

Prairie Mom

Mine likes carrot tops. When we first got her, I'd set her in the carrot bed for a treat. Maybe your sweeties will get used to them.
email carrots.jpg

AnimalLady

Right now, most of my torts diet is store bought. I do not have a green thumb and my yard absolutely sucks for weeds. I get the occasional Hibiscus when I can (thats what the RF ate yesterday :) ) mine seem to have no issues with it what so ever. I'm actually going to a big farmers market this weekend with my torts in mind.. i'm sure there is a ton of variety there!

Do you think your tort doesnt like the carrot tops because their store bought? Maybe he/she just doesnt like carrot tops?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So I thought I'd try some purchased dandelions and carrot tops. Some forum members have said that their torts didn't like the store-bought leaves. As a backup, I'm glad to say that Anna and the desert torts had no problem with the store-bought dandelions. They were less than impressed with the carrot top leaves though.

Like most things, carrot tops take a while for them to get used to. Try some yourself. Kind of a strong taste. Many tortoise won't eat a new food the first few times they see it. Many times they won't eat it for a month. But introduce it correctly and be patient and eventually they will eat all the good stuff you offer.

If we allowed them the choice, I'm sure they'd happily eat their fill of romaine daily and ignore other "good" foods. Keep at it. Your tortoise will eventually eat it and its a good food for them.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
It took my guys quite a while to try the carrot tops, but once they did they seemed to like them. I chopped them up extra small and mixed them in with the stuff I know they like.