Stone in my redfoot's droppings or urates issue?

NorthernWimd

Location (City and/or State)
Lakeland
Ive read for hours today about bladder stones but Id like some clarification.
I have a female redfoot named Rudy. Im unsure of her age because I adopted her from a family member. When I say adopted what I really mean is I took her to rescue her. She was not very well taken care of. She was regularly ledt without water, a healthy diet, the correct lighting, the list goes on and on.
When I got her I noticed she wasnt, for lack of better word, pooping. There were no droppings in her enclosure. I was just learning how to vare for a tortoise and I decided a bath was probably a good idea. It solved the poop issue immediately.

Ive had her for around a year now and shes actually starting to grow and she is clearly happier in her new environment. She does have what might be signs of pyramiding, but other than that shes seemed very healthy.
Around 3 weeks ago I noticed she is spending all day and night soaking in her pool. After some research I came away with the idea she was probably a little dehydrated, so Ive ramped up the humidity and Ive been feeding her foods that contain high amounts of water. I figured I solved the issue, but then I realized I havent seen any droppings at all for several weeks. I usually clean her enclosure out once a week.
Today I decided to give the bath trick another go and I wasnt surprised when she started going after only a few minutes. Then she kept going....and going...and going. It seemed as if she was done and I was releaved. The water was still warm and shallow enough that I left her in the bath.
After about 15 minutes I came back to find more droppings in the bath. I was very surprised. One dropping specifically caught my eye because it wasnt floating like the others. I nudged it with the brush I use to exfoliate her skin and not only had weight to it, it made a scraping sound against the bottom of the bath. I immediately started googling.
From what Ive read bladder stones are common, but for desert tortoises. Redfoots are jungle tortoises. I do take her outside to "run" in the grass, but Ive never seen her eat a stone. The stone isnt round like a bladder stone, but Rudy is small. Theres no way she swallowed a rock, let alone digested it. All the vet sites say they do not pass bladder stones naturally or without surgery.
20190602_215440.jpg 20190602_215440.jpg 20190602_215406.jpg
I'll post a picture for your examination. Youll notice its smooth on one side amd pitted on the other unlike a bladder stone.
On a quick sidenote, Ive examined her cloaca. There is no visible damage or irriatation, but this stone, whatever it is, is bigger than her tail even when shes widened it to do her business.

Any and all advice, ideas, clarifications, etc. are very much appreciated.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
She ate a rock. It got her constipated.
Mine also do that sometimes.
I leave cuttlebone laying around.
Some times they eat that.
It stops them from eating rocks.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You should be soaking this tortoise every other day, given the problems you've described.

Eating rocks is usually seen in tortoises that are fed a lot of grocery store greens, or over supplemented with calcium. Do you do either of these?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
One thing to note: RF and YF tortoises are hard wired to eat fruit containing seeds. When a captive tortoise doesn't get food with seeds they eat stones/pebbles.

Reactions: Tom

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
One thing to note: RF and YF tortoises are hard wired to eat fruit containing seeds. When a captive tortoise doesn't get food with seeds they eat stones/pebbles.

I somehow missed this before, and will now make sure to incorporate some seeds into Darwin's diet.

Thanks,

Jamie