stoked! my first 3 toed egg hatched :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

earthyman71

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Columbus, Ohio
hello all!

just wanted to share the good news. my box turtles laid over 12 eggs this spring (starting oddly in January - they're kept indoors and not hibernated as i don't feel skilled enough to attempt it yet) and the first one just hatched.

nearest as i can recall, this is at least 130 days post being laid. (late, if i remember correctly, on the days to hatch spectrum.)

the little dude is curious, active and a good size.

i put the eggs in moist coconut coir in a plastic container with a few airholes and left it on a shelf in my bedroom. (the bedroom is the warmest place in the house in winter.)

i just let nature take its course and it looks like she decided to reward at least one little guy. :)

fingers crossed for a few more.

thanks to all for the posts in these forums - they're incredibly helpful!

Attachments

• 0526021734a_0002.jpg
    0526021734a_0002.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 72

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Awesome! I thought they wouldn't breed if kept indoors and not hibernated??

I have to add, if you have a lot hatch......remember, I'm not far from you (the Cleveland area)....LOL

earthyman71

5 Year Member
Columbus, Ohio
keeping them indoors is a challenge with the right substrate, food, heat/light/uva/uvb. it's a good amount of work. the fact that these guys lay, i think, is a testament that i'm doing something right??

a pic attached - not the best but...

a good amount of white on the shell which is pretty.

and depending how many of the remaining eggs hatch, lisa127, i'll let you know. :)

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I don't see any pic. I have two box turtles of my own, and obviously have very similar climate to yours. If you can give me tips on your substrate, temps, humidity, ect. that would be great. I agree, they are a challenge. I'm constantly monitoring everything, spraying, turning heat up or down, ect.

NM - I see the pic now. So tiny and cute!

earthyman71

5 Year Member
Columbus, Ohio
i have 4 3 toeds in a good sized pen with a 100 w uva/uvb that's on 12 hours a day. (I used to use a TRex but now i use a Powersun. They're not making 100 w Trexs right now but fingers crossed they will again soon.)

their basking temp is in the low - mid 80s with the non-basking end being cooler.

i also use eco earth and keep it decently moist so that water drips out when i squeeze it in my hand. i keep it deep enough so that they can bury themselves completely.

humidity for these guys i just know by "feel" - i can't explain it other than that.

they also have hay they can bury themselves in/under.

they're misted daily, fed greens, veggies and fruit every day and every other day they get earthworms.

their weight is good.

their ramp bowl is cleaned daily and they always have fresh water.

every sunday, their ramp bowl and food slate goes into the dishwasher and they go into a tub for a good soak and a swim. i clean the pen and mix the substrate up and add water as needed.

substrate is wholly replaced every 2 months.

this is just what has worked for us from what i've gleaned from this site's boards and www.aboxturtle.com.

lisa127 said:
I don't see any pic. I have two box turtles of my own, and obviously have very similar climate to yours. If you can give me tips on your substrate, temps, humidity, ect. that would be great. I agree, they are a challenge. I'm constantly monitoring everything, spraying, turning heat up or down, ect.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
you use the eco earth by itself, with nothing added?

earthyman71

5 Year Member
Columbus, Ohio
correct. and knock wood, no skin eye or respiratory problems. they also don't eat it (or not that i've seen!).

the pattern that i do see with egg laying is that it generally happens the day of or after i've done my full pen change.

lisa127 said:
you use the eco earth by itself, with nothing added?

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
the hay you have for them does not get moldy or anything in the damp environment?

earthyman71

5 Year Member
Columbus, Ohio
that you have to be careful of. i clean out any moldy hay every day. this fall, when i can finally find a clean, non-city source for it, i'm going to be using leaf litter instead.

lisa127 said:
the hay you have for them does not get moldy or anything in the damp environment?

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
My TTBTS are kept inside and only go out for sunny days laid indoors and i found it to be very succesful. Though i do suggest looking into a ghettobator ( a DIY) you may have more eggs hatch next time with a more constant temp :)

Did anymore hatch or just the one?

Status
Not open for further replies.