Stock Rates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clawhammer

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Western NY- USA
Do you happen to know if there is recommended pen stocking rate for Aldabras.

Like:
I raise chickens. Suggested run/yard stocking rate 3 sqr feet per adult bird while housing is sd to be 2 sqr feet per adult bird.

or crayfish 1 sqr ft of pond bottom per 10 adults or 100 juviniels

So is there a recomended pen size for stocking Aldabras.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't know of any. However, ALDABRAMAN has an acre and he has 10 or 11, cant remember for sure Aldabras and is looking to get more. I don't know how many more though. You could possibly divide an acre by say 11 or add on a couple for his future ones and go by that. It would of course only be an idea to go by, no real calculations. Hopefully if Greg sees this, he might have an idea of what he figures. Good luck. Interesting question.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Housing aldabras is not a commercial enterprise like raising chickens, so there are realy no guidelines other than individual peoples personal opinions. Generally, the bigger the better when it comes to pen size. Five aldabras could survive in a 40 foot square, but five landscaped acres with trees, a water feature, rolling hills and lots of grass and food would suit them much better.

When it comes to tortoise enclosures, GO BIG!!!

Clawhammer

5 Year Member
Western NY- USA
Tom said:
Housing aldabras is not a commercial enterprise like raising chickens, so there are realy no guidelines other than individual peoples personal opinions. Generally, the bigger the better when it comes to pen size. Five aldabras could survive in a 40 foot square, but five landscaped acres with trees, a water feature, rolling hills and lots of grass and food would suit them much better.

Nice!!. Same for chickens. Rates are Just a suggestion by poeple in the know. many pens are overstocked and commercial chickens are sometimes in 1 by 1 cages stacked to the ceilings ... yuck!!!! Mine are stocked with far more than min. But, like you pointed out I'm lookin for humane guideline for ideas with the torts.

yagyujubei said:

Lol... that not far from what id like to do

Clawhammer

5 Year Member
Western NY- USA
I found this info its reguarding Sulcatas but its still good to know:
"As hatchlings grow they will need a 2ft by 2ft cage up to a 4ft by 8 ft cage"
Seems to say 4 sqr feet for youths and 32 sqr ft for adults.
Thats of course a suggested min stock rate.

& more too!!!
this seems to be a good measure tool: kinda like stocking a fish tank where as the length times width times height is devided by 12 and you get how many inches of fish is reasonable for aquarium....

"The enclosure space should be at least four times the carapace length. If two animals are being kept together, double the size of the enclosure and add an additional 10% for each animal after three tortoises. A trio of similar sized Sulcatas can be housed together in an enclosure that measures 16 feet by 16 feet."

Meant for Sulcatas but maybe a good rule of thumb for ALL turtles and torts?

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Tom said:

* Exercise is a vital need for the aldabra tortoise!

2n8vprc.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Clawhammer said:
A trio of similar sized Sulcatas can be housed together in an enclosure that measures 16 feet by 16 feet."

Meant for Sulcatas but maybe a good rule of thumb for ALL turtles and torts?

This might be okay for some young ones, but adults will need FAR more room than this. Again, this is opinion and preference. My adult pen is 7000 sq. feet and I feel it's a bit small for them. Plans are in the works to move them to a 36,000 sq. foot area.

Clawhammer

5 Year Member
Western NY- USA
Agreed! I just like to know mins. It serves well in planing. They are usually set (by idea only) to keep aggressive behavior at bay and for health needs regarding environment cleanliness. Mins stock rates are usually just that, min. Big is best weather talkin torts, rabbit,ducks, humans or any other domsticated animal.

Our cities tend to be more aggressive and have lower life span than our suburbs and even more noticable when compared to our rural areas.

So knowing a basic min ideas helps to start to define "big"

I'm all about " Big" especially when I know what " Big" is.

Then I'm all about " Bigger" lol

Status
Not open for further replies.