still rehabilitating sad tortoise, what else to do?

unlikelyrussian

Location (City and/or State)
mid-Alantic US
Hi, I adopted a Russian tortoise earlier this month that had clearly been neglected for some time and was living mostly on sand in a 50 gallon tub. Since then:
Sand was replaced with deep orchid bark and I gave him an upside down plastic tub with an entrance to be a hide.
He has visited an exotics vet and had beak trim and bloodwork, which showed elevated white blood cells and severe hydration. He's also anemic.
Because of his blood results, we did a stool/fecal analysis, which apparently showed several parasites at loads that the vet deemed worth treating (she had previously said they often did not treat unless the worms seemed to be causing a problem).
He's gotten doses of metronidazole and Panacur. And the vet has put him on a course of antibiotics that I inject.
I am doing twice daily soaks. After his soak he is getting salads with a mix of grocery greens from approved Turtle Table list, and he eats them. Also trying to get him to eat Mazuri but he doesn't seem that interested in it.
He did not have a UVB light. I have ordered a Arcadia PRO t5 fixture with a 12% bulb. And was planning to have it on for a couple of hours midday. Does that sound appropriate? I am worried about suddenly exposing him to UVB when he hasn't had it in probably a decade--should I introduce it gradually?
He has a basking lamp that is around 95 degrees beneath it, then temps taper out to room temperatures which are around 72.
We are going to build him a big turtle table and are currently researching it and making plans and will have it completed by the end of the month so he can start the new year in a new world. Other than eating, he currently wants nothing more than to bury himself. Is there anything else I can be doing to improve his lot?

ZenHerper

New Jersey
All sounds pretty good.

The burrowing is a behavior that aids with de-stressing. Don't worry about it...keep up a routine schedule for daily checks and activities.

This time of year, when the planet is tipped far from the sun in the NE U.S., makes all reptiles sluggish and prone to over-sleeping. Again, not a worry. It's just their physiologic habit.

Start using a reptile digestive flora replacement...the de-wormers and antibiotic will strip away the natural symbiotes that break down food for nutrient absorption and support the greater degree of the immune system.

Continue offering and expanding a varied, mature broadleaf diet.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Those antibiotic treatments will make most tortoises sluggish for a while and you might notice reduced food intake.
Same for the anti parasitic meds.
Taking both an anti parasitic and an antibiotic at the same time? I'd expect a very lethargic tortoise for a week or two.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Those antibiotic treatments will make most tortoises sluggish for a while and you might notice reduced food intake.
Same for the anti parasitic meds.
Taking both an anti parasitic and an antibiotic at the same time? I'd expect a very lethargic tortoise for a week or two.
Not to mention you're the one giving him shots. Until you can re-establish yourself as the Food God/Godess & not giving him shots anymore, you are probably NOT on his VP list right now.