Starting Over

lilly_sand99

Location (City and/or State)
Marshalltown IA
More than anything else, I want a tortoise. I did my research. And decided I wanted my baby to be a Russian. I got everything set up, I followed all the threads to a T for the enclosure. And I bought a tortoise from a pet store, where I figured, hey, people have luck, but some people don't. I thought I asked all the right questions, but... my baby(really she was an adult) didn't make it past 3 weeks. I took her to the vet, and we just couldn't get her better....

So.... I really want to try one more time. This time I am going to get my baby from a breeder that is approved on here. I am going to start with a hatchling. And I am going to work hard for the best life for my baby.

I never had a baby tortoise before.. Or a baby anything, so I am super nervous, and I hope to use this thread to get the perfect enclosure set up and ready for my baby before I start trying to find a baby. Lol I have read the baby care sheet like 15 times already today. I think this process is going to be a few months to get everything perfect, but probably longer due to classes.

I want to thank everyone on here. For helping me with Abby and for all the help in the future as I start this journey. Thank you for y'alls knowledge and patience as y'all have already worked with me and hopefully will continue working with me.

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
Awe, I know with the forum, you can do it. Go ahead and look at animal plastics enclosures. They are the best. They won't rot and hold the humidity and temps that are needed for a hatchling. They are pricey and take months to arrive, so get started now. I know Carol is a great Russian breeder, but not sure about others. I'm interested in trying. That's in the distant future though.

lilly_sand99

Marshalltown IA
I was looking into a 50 gallon Rubbermaid tote, just because I already have the 4x8 open top enclosure for when my baby is big enough to not need that constant humidity, would they work close to the same or should I definitely order a animal plastics enclosure?

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
If you go with a Rubbermaid tote, start with a 30-gallon, not a 50-gallon for a hatchling. Humidity is more important than space at first and the smaller tote helps more with that. Hatchlings tend to burrow and sleep a lot. After a few months you can upgrade to a larger tub. This is what I do with my hatchlings to keep them safe and properly hydrated so they start out right.

Hatchlings are a lot more work and are much more fragile. Some breeders have babies that are 6 months to a year old and would be a better fit to start with, since they are past the fragile hatchling phase, but regardless of what you choose everyone here will help you out as best we can!

lilly_sand99

Marshalltown IA
If you go with a Rubbermaid tote, start with a 30-gallon, not a 50-gallon for a hatchling. Humidity is more important than space at first and the smaller tote helps more with that. Hatchlings tend to burrow and sleep a lot. After a few months you can upgrade to a larger tub. This is what I do with my hatchlings to keep them safe and properly hydrated so they start out right.

Hatchlings are a lot more work and are much more fragile. Some breeders have babies that are 6 months to a year old and would be a better fit to start with, since they are past the fragile hatchling phase, but regardless of what you choose everyone here will help you out as best we can!
Is finding good breeders that sell babies 6mo-year easy? What age would this be called?

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
I was looking into a 50 gallon Rubbermaid tote, just because I already have the 4x8 open top enclosure for when my baby is big enough to not need that constant humidity, would they work close to the same or should I definitely order a animal plastics enclosure?
Those work well. I know a few members have used them and they hold the humidity. I’ve heard Christmas tree storage containers are great. They give the hatchling more room. After adding a couple of hides, water dish, basking area, and food dish, you won’t have a lot of space for the tortoise to explore if you go with a smaller tote.

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
Those work well. I know a few members have used them and they hold the humidity. I’ve heard Christmas tree storage containers are great. They give the hatchling more room. After adding a couple of hides, water dish, basking area, and food dish, you won’t have a lot of space for the tortoise to explore if you go with a smaller tote.
They do stay small for a long time, so the other suggestion from Irishkitty would last for a while.

lilly_sand99

Marshalltown IA
I saw another member had an open top enclosure and she had a year tort and no one suggested closing it, is that ok?

lilly_sand99

Marshalltown IA
Alright, for the day, my 2 questions are:
1. Will a yearling be ok in an open top with a humid hide?
2. Does anyone have pet insurance for their baby? If so what do y all use?

lilly_sand99

Marshalltown IA
So as of today, my plans are to create a humid hide (following the Russian tortoise care sheet) and get a yearling from Sunshine Breeders. Between now and then (probably a few months because I am a college student and work won't pay me a million dollars an hour, for just being awesome) I plan on getting some broad leaf plant seed and trying to get that to start growing :)

Any suggestions/comments/concerns of this plan so far?

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
So as of today, my plans are to create a humid hide (following the Russian tortoise care sheet) and get a yearling from Sunshine Breeders. Between now and then (probably a few months because I am a college student and work won't pay me a million dollars an hour, for just being awesome) I plan on getting some broad leaf plant seed and trying to get that to start growing :)

Any suggestions/comments/concerns of this plan so far?

Do you have a link to Sunshine breeders? I've never heard of them nor can i find them through searching.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell

Is there any reason as to why you've chosen this particular breeder/retailer? I couldn't find any reviews about them in tortoise forum. Wouldn't it be safer to get a specimen from retailers that have a long history of good reviews?

As a precaution I would also ask the retailer for photographs of the tortoise in question and several examples of their housing/temps/humidity/care practices. An experienced and up to date breeder/retailer would not usually hesitate to do this. Hell, many of them are extremely proud of it and will probably show you a lot more than than needed.

Don't be in such a hurry to start over. Email the breeder and have them convince you that their specimens are well taken care of. Good breeders are used to getting questions from concerned potential customers.

lilly_sand99

Marshalltown IA
Is there any reason as to why you've chosen this particular breeder/retailer? I couldn't find any reviews about them in tortoise forum. Wouldn't it be safer to get a specimen from retailers that have a long history of good reviews?

As a precaution I would also ask the retailer for photographs of the tortoise in question and several examples of their housing/temps/humidity/care practices. An experienced and up to date breeder/retailer would not usually hesitate to do this. Hell, many of them are extremely proud of it and will probably show you a lot more than than needed.

Don't be in such a hurry to start over. Email the breeder and have them convince you that their specimens are well taken care of. Good breeders are used to getting questions from concerned potential customers.
In fact... I only saw one person really talk about it and your right I should look into tort breeders that are better known on here. Is there any that you would suggest for a yearling?

lilly_sand99

Marshalltown IA

So looking into different places I think I an to go with tortoise supply. I know he is a member on here, and when I 1st started looking for a Russian he had yearlings! While he doesn't have any right now, I can wait and just get everything nicely set up and waiting for the little one!!

lilly_sand99

Marshalltown IA
This is my current set up for a hatchling. I followed the care list as closely as possible. I'm still working on temperatures but what do yall think so far?
20180916_135517.jpeg20180916_135617.jpeg20180916_135523.jpeg