Started our tortoise table

Status
Not open for further replies.

squancho

5 Year Member
Well guys, I just wanted to post a few pics of the tort table, I actually do not nee to be schooled in reptile husbandry as I have had thriving reptiles of all sorts including Sulcatas for 30 years. They are not anymore pyramided than 95% of the photos on this site of any tortoises north of the Mason Dixon line. Including the tortoises at our Zoo,
Please if you like the table great,
But if you post preaching to me br prepared to have a rebuttle from me.
Just because I snapped a pic o the table as soon as I set them down in iy doesnt mean there isnt water avaliable.
These torts are soaked 3 times daily as well. The humidity in my locale can range from 10% to over 90 in the water of 60 minutes. They hve a humid temp controlled hide. All my pellets are over coco coir to help retain mositure.
I challenge anyone within 100 miles of Louisville KY that has raised a Sulcata from a hatchling (here)to show me a pic of a slick smooth adult.unless it was grown in an aquarium.
We do our best. Our torts are part of the family, come to us when signaled already to hand feed, and are fed the best we can buy or grow in our sulcata
garden.
Like Forrest G thats all I have to say about that.

10% to 90% humidity,,,

Im a matter of 60 minutes

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pacific NorthWET
Haha, I knew someone would pester yah about that first pic with torts in it. I assumed they were "modeling".

I honestly get tired of the "use coco coir or you are killing your tortoise" mentality. I tried it, smells nasty, expensive (compared to peat, mulch, sphagnum I can buy at garden center and get about a 1000% more for half the price). My Greek was covered in it...all over his eyes, mouth, messy and smelly. Not for me. We likey sphagnum and bark. [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

And I'm not picking on anyone who replied on this thread. Just having a friendly conversation. That s how I am. [PURPLE HEART]

Love you all, and I know everyone here just wants to make sure things are on track. All meant for the better good. As I say at work, I'd rather have someone mad at me because I pointed out the obvious, rather than me NOT saying anything and something vital gets missed and a pet dies. Egos don't get to come to our hospital. Leave them at home. [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Your table is impressive and your detailed pictures inspired me. I haven't build anything in 20 years. So I've forgotten. Time to start again!

Sandy
Oregon Tortoise Rescue

squancho

5 Year Member
Ty, im in no way mad or have a prob with anyone, our torts are out hanging with us 5 to 8 hrs a day and i refuse to wash dirt off of them every time thats why we use pellets over moisture holding material. My table was very thought out taking our climate, work sched, growth needs of our torts, the ability to use it for one or both the net few years.
I hope everyone on this site loveand flourishs with their torts.
I just had to take 14 years knowledge of an indiana Sulacta raised by me ino consideration when i got these and do my best

LacySweet

5 Year Member
Do you have step by step instructions saved for this by any chance?

squancho

5 Year Member
Not step by step. I used scrap 2x4s for the frame, i used birch veneered plywood for the outer shell, ( that was purchased at a local peddlers mall for 1/10 of what lumber yard wants for furniture grade plywood) bought the yard sale trim there. Then jut strted building it and trimming it out. Bought 1/4" thick TEMPERED glass for the front through a local place for 16$ and then used miwax polyshades for the finish and let it cure.. Wa-la.
Ive built furniture grade enclosures for people around here before , for snakes and chameleons. My first table..

In total I have about 65$ in this.

Status
Not open for further replies.