Started Hatchling Enclosure

Action

Location (City and/or State)
Valley Springs, Ca.
Started my first enclosure.....It is 2'x2'x7' long. I have a ways to go. I want it up and running and tested before I buy a tortoise.......Pretty much building with what I have

.Tortoise enclosure.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The 7' part is good, however, if you're planning on getting a full grown tortoise the 2' part is way to small.

Action

Valley Springs, Ca.
This will just be for a hatchling (Sulcata) until it out grows it. then build something else or hope I can move it outside.....Time will tell.

Action

Valley Springs, Ca.
I am trying to figure out where/how I want the hide. does the basking lamp need to be close to the hide or away ? I read it here somewhere but cant seem to find it now.
Any ideas on layout would be great. little more done.
Thanks
Jack

Tortoise enclosure trim.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I am trying to figure out where/how I want the hide. does the basking lamp need to be close to the hide or away ? I read it here somewhere but cant seem to find it now.
Thanks
Jack

View attachment 274658
I'm assuming you're going to put plexi doors across the opening? If that's the case, you'll have a closed chamber and the temperature should be equal all over the inside of the enclosure. So it doesn't really matter where the hiding place is. I would put it in a back corner right up next to the wall.

Action

Valley Springs, Ca.
I'm assuming you're going to put plexi doors across the opening? If that's the case, you'll have a closed chamber and the temperature should be equal all over the inside of the enclosure. So it doesn't really matter where the hiding place is. I would put it in a back corner right up next to the wall.
Thanks...it will be enclosed.....My plan is 1 CHE on a thermostat ...1 t5 6500 4'.....1 t5 12% uv 4'.....1 65w flood.....on a timer.
Jack

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What Yvonne said, plus this:
There are four elements to heating and lighting:
  1. Basking bulb. I use 65 watt floods from the hardware store. I run them on a timer and adjust the height to get the correct basking temp under them. You can mount a fixture on the ceiling, or hang a dome lamp from the ceiling. Go lower wattage if this makes the enclosure too hot. I like the overnight low to be 80, and daytime high to rise into the low 90s for a sulcata baby.
  2. Ambient heat maintenance. I use ceramic heating elements or radiant heat panels set on thermostats to maintain ambient above 80 degrees day and night for tropical species like sulcatas or leopards. I like this thermostat: https://www.lllreptile.com/products/13883-zilla-1000-watt-temperature-controller. Put the probe in the coolest corner away from all heating elements.
  3. Light. I use florescent tubes for this purpose. Something in the 5000-6500K color range will look the best. Most tubes at the store are in the 2500K range and they look yellowish. I've been using LEDs lately and they are great, and run cooler than a florescent.
  4. UV. If you can get your tortoise outside for an hour 2 or 3 times a week, you won't need indoor UV. If you want it anyway, get one of the newer HO type fluorescent tubes. Which type will depend on mounting height. It helps to have a UV meter to test and see what your bulb is actually putting out at your mounting height.
I love your design and this is a great size for starting a baby suclata! Just make sure you buy your baby from the RIGHT source. Few people start them correctly. If I don't have any when you are ready, I will happily point you in the direction of someone who does. Read these for more explanation on that:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/hatchling-failure-syndrome.23493/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-incubate-eggs-and-start-hatchlings.124266/

Action

Valley Springs, Ca.
Thanks for all the info......I was going to talk to a few people to find out the best place to buy but have not figured out the PM thing on this site......not that great with computers.
Love all the help
Jack

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thanks for all the info......I was going to talk to a few people to find out the best place to buy but have not figured out the PM thing on this site......not that great with computers.
Love all the help
Jack
scroll your mouse up to "inbox" in the upper right corner then click on "Start a New Conversation" on the drop down menu. It should be fairly self explainable from there.

Action

Valley Springs, Ca.
working on some lights today.....Don't mind the pig tail as that is where the CHE will go. just checking out the timers and thermometer....still am looking at uvb lights just haven't bought 1 yet.
JackTortoise lights.jpg

Action

Valley Springs, Ca.
Worked on some doors....Just clear roofing as that is what I had laying around. so far seems like it will work. I am sure it will need a few tweeks here and there.
JackTortoise doors 1.jpg

Action

Valley Springs, Ca.
Playing with new enclosure. Checking temps and humidity.....This is just after the 64w flood clicked off. temp went down a little and humidity is creeping up. still waiting for my CHE to get here so I can play with them. Still need to order a uvb light. so far I think so good.
Jackhumidity..jpg

Action

Valley Springs, Ca.
Having a little trouble holding humidity up. 89 is pretty rare. about 65 % with 65w flood light on @ 82 cold 86 hot side. when light goes out it creeps up to maybe 75-80%.....It is sealed up pretty good. is that good enough or do I need to get it higher ?.....Want to get a Tortoise pretty soon but want temps and humidity right first.
Thanks
Jack

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Your substrate looks dry to me. I like orchid bark to have that dark look indicating moisture. Dump in water and mix thoroughly so it all is uniformly dark in color. No standing water but uniformly dark/ moist.

Also keep in mind the humid guage is reading RELATIVE humidity. That means the amount of moisture the air is holding in relation to that temperature. Warmer air hold way more moisture. So we want 80% and up at 80°. If the temp rises to 90° the relative humidity will drop to 70% or less with the same amount of water in the air. If the temp drops to 70° you will reach dew point and be at 100% with nothing else’s changing

So it’s the Relative humidity at proper tortoise temperature that you are wanting

Action

Valley Springs, Ca.
Seems my hide will stay in the 95% range but the rest of the enclosure seems to very quite a bit. If I mist it ( been using a garden sprayer) i can keep it in the mid 80%. If I don't mist it, it will go into the low 70%.....So if misting is ok ? that is what i will do. Temps run up to maybe 87 f during the day and 79-80 f at night.......Hide seems to run a few degs cooler.
Thanks
Jack
PS...This is with no Tortoise....Just trial runs trying to get it close to right.