Stacked enclosures

Status
Not open for further replies.

bettinge

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Upstate NY
Forget the UK, I have read plenty of times right here on this forum that aquariums (vivs) are bad! I believe some of the arguments were:
1) That torts don't understand glass and keep walking into it.
2) Difficult to maintain temperature gradients.
3) Lack of air flow.
4) etc. etc. etc.....

These are not my views, just what I have read right here! I very much admire Tim and Robins tort room, and if its successful for them than thats all that matters.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
Stephanie Logan said:
That said, I do have a direct question for Tim and Robin.;)
Do your tortoises ever try to bump through the glass? I know Taco does this in the sunporch and I have read here that that can be a problem with keeping tortoises in glass-walled enclosures.

On a rare occasion certain ones do come to the glass and "bump" in to it. The Golden Greeks and Eastern Hermanns rush to the glass when they think food is coming. Our large male Redfoot watches everything that goes on in the room. He is very enquisitive and wants to know what we are doing. I would not say he bumps in to the glass unless he is turning around and just doesn't back up enough. :D We have a couple of adult Marginata that do come to the glass and let us know it is time to get out. They get "supervised wander time" in the tort room. They seem to like the exercise. Both of their enclosures are on the bottom and they come and go as they please, when we are around of course. It is funny to see them visit each others house and eat what the other one hasn't. They bask when they want too.

I guess in answer to your question, we have not had a problem with them pacing the glass. :)

These enclosures, along with an automated sprinkling system, have allowed us to keep a nice level of humidity in the ones that need it. We live in a rather dry climate and we have been very successful keeping humidity up in these enclosures.

bettinge said:
if its successful for them than thats all that matters.

What works for us, may not work for others. It certainly is working for us. We live in a climate where they have to spend many months indoors. As many know, they get out to large outdoor pens whenever possible. :D A friend of mine once said, "it is hard to argue with success!!" (Thanks VIC). :D

Meg90 said:
Their animals have UVB, temp gradients, air flow? What's so bad about keeping a tort in a viv?

Interestingly enough, not all have UVB. In fact more don't than do. However, they ALL get calcium with vitamin D3. Vitamin D3 is what they get from sunlight or UVB and is necessary for the uptake of calcium. ;) Additionally, they ALL get outside whenever possible. :D

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
Well, you've certainly thought it all out and made provisions for just about every requirement of good tortoise care.;)

I don't suppose you'd care to share the price of these spiffy enclosures?:p

Sorry, I just went on the Showcases website and saw the prices. About $600 to get one the "right" size for Taco. I'll start saving my pennies...:rolleyes:

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
Stephanie Logan said:
Well, you've certainly thought it all out and made provisions for just about every requirement of good tortoise care.;)

I don't suppose you'd care to share the price of these spiffy enclosures?:p

Sorry, I just went on the Showcases website and saw the prices. About $600 to get one the "right" size for Taco. I'll start saving my pennies...:rolleyes:

That is a concern for many. The price can be prohibitive. I would hate to think of how much we have spent. But, it is a hobby and a passion, so it doesn't matter. We have been able to do it and it works for us. One could make something similar, but it would take too much time, and for us time is money, ha ha (made myself (Tim) laugh with that one). :p One day I will have to add up how much time we spend tending toour tortoises in a given week. I am sure it would amaze even me! ;) Additionally, we had to have something "cat proof" and these are that indeed!!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.