Sqishy bottom shell

Myroli

Has anyone ever heard of a hatchlings bottom shell becoming kinda soft/loose and sqishy?

Myroli

Here's a picture, it doesn't look any different but when I was putting him back after his soak and time outside I felt something move and when I looked and poked again I saw it move just a little

Attachments

• 1432940938912.jpg
    1432940938912.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 69

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Has anyone ever heard of a hatchlings bottom shell becoming kinda soft/loose and sqishy?
Have you done a search to see any related threads ? That may help until someone who knows can answer.

Myroli

I looked and none of them are really like my situaution because he isn't lethargic or anything...

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Sorry I can't help you but doesn't sound normal. Hope the more experienced guys will help soon.

Myroli

I don't know that it's necessarily "squishy" because it feels and looks the same, it just moves in a bit when poked, I'm starting to wonder(after reading some other threads) if it's just "pliable" and hasn't hardened yet because he's only about 5 months old, and maybe I just never noticed it?

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Pliable is normal but squishy is not. Are you leaving finger print dents when you push?

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
It looks normal to me..pliable is normal. How's his diet? Do you provide calcium supplement?

Does he get outside?

Myroli

It looks normal to me..pliable is normal. How's his diet? Do you provide calcium supplement?

Does he get outside?
Yes, once a week on a mix if collard,mustard,and turnip greens. The rest of the week he gets a mix of grasses and weeds from my yard and some new grass stuff from sulcatafood.com and sometimes some if the greens mixed in

Myroli

And yes I take him outside just about everyday for at least 20 mins sometimes up to an hour if I have time or if I didn't get home too late fir there to be enough sunshine

Myroli

Oh. I thought you were in Houston so I was going to volunteer to stop by to take a peek for you
No, but thanks for the offer :) I'm just glad no one thinks he's dying because I totally freaked out when I noticed it this evening, when should it harden?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How much does he weigh?

How was he started as a hatchling?

Myroli

How much does he weigh?

How was he started as a hatchling?
I tried weighing him on a kitchen scale and at first it said 25 grams(it's a dial one not digital) but when I took him off it didn't go back to zero so I reset it and tried again, and that time it didn't move off zero so idk. And idk about before I got him, but until about 3 weeks ago unfortunately dry because i didn't know those dial humidity/temperature gauges from petco didn't actually work so I thought it was at no lower than 60% at all times but really it was only like 20%, but now I keep it up