Spring Pond 2023

Paschendale52

5 Year Member
We seem to be past our last freeze in 2023. So I've been adding some new plants, watching the old ones come back, and getting the pond going for 2023.

First up: Fatty is back outside.

20230414_113751.jpg20230414_113757.jpg

Fatty weighed in at 6.6 oz in September when she went into the pond. After a health scare during brumination she came inside in January. I didn't weigh her then, because I was too focused on getting her healthy again. Not that she is going back in I weighed her at 7.3 oz. So through the winter and, more importantly, her 4 months indoors at 80 °F she has gained 0.7 oz. She took to the water immediately and is already the most prolific basker in the pond.

20230414_113920.jpg20230414_113923.jpg

Speaking of basking. I got a couple large logs to go in the pond to provide an alternative basking platform to the rock and dirt tub that is up there. Both pieces are currently floating, but are tied off so that they don't sink to the bottom all at once and I'll get them positioned once they water log. The are already used more for basking than the platform has ever been. You can also see some large leafy plants that I put in the main pond. There is a cattail and variagated reed, both planted in those Aquascape cloth planting bags so the water can come and go, but the dirt planting medium doesn't come out. The koi (~20 or so total, mostly ~5 - 6" long) did just fine over the winter and are back and very active.

20230414_113928.jpg20230414_114203.jpg

I now have 4 lilys in the same cloth planters. None of them are too big yet, but I'm hoping they grow out like the one I had from last year. One of them I attempted to drop into the deeper area of the pond, but the pot flipped, so its bare root hanging out. The water is too cold for the lilys to start growing in earnest, but when it gets a bit warmer in another month or so I'll get in the water and repot the lily at the bottom. I also got one of those floating food holders so that the turtles and fish have longer to eat the pellets before the skimmer picks it up.

I have seen Granny many times, just trundling around the bottom as well as a couple of map turtles out and basking. I havn't seen them eat yet, but with the water temperature still at ~64 °F I'm not too worried about it yet. I'm hoping that especially with Fatty being as active and outgoing as she is, I'll be able to see Granny and Fatty come up to the surface to feed soon. The map turtles still dive to the bottom and hide when the back door opens, but eventually I'm sure they'll start to open up a bit more.

Attachments

• 20230414_113914.jpg
    20230414_113914.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
  • 20230414_113945.jpg
    20230414_113945.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 4

mark1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ohio
the pond looks awesome , hopefully your issues are behind you ..... i brought in two turtles one time and spent like 4yrs going to the vets every spring and fall with different turtles .... it eventually worked itself out and it's been a lot of years since i had any issues ....

Paschendale52

5 Year Member
the pond looks awesome , hopefully your issues are behind you ..... i brought in two turtles one time and spent like 4yrs going to the vets every spring and fall with different turtles .... it eventually worked itself out and it's been a lot of years since i had any issues ....
I'm hoping to get there. My current goals for future years are to get the 3 giant mexican musk turtles into the pond next spring, assuming they're big enough. And get some western painted hatchlings (the westerns are native to the area) and grow them out for the pond after a couple years. We'll see how things develop.

I remember @Markw84 saying one time that ponds take about 2 years to fully establish. So far the plant growth and algae in the pond for this first spring would track with not being fully established yet. I'm going out and cleaning a decent amount of algae out of the bog filter every few days. Just lots of stringy algae growing on things so far. I think for next fall/winter I'll get a net to put over things to keep a lot of the leaves and such out. My guess is that all that organic matter from the fall/winter is part of whats contributing to the algae I've got now.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
i get string algae every spring ..... i leave the leaves that fall in the pond in the fall in the ponds , the turtles like to bury themselves in them over the winter, i think it makes them comfortable ..... the leaves don't break down much over the winter , when it starts to warm up they break down pretty quickly .....the biological filtration is depleted from the winter so it can't handle the load , the better aeriated ponds get less algae . which makes sense .......i remove the leaves and clean the gravel around now and as the water warms up the biological filtration comes back and the algae clears up ....

Paschendale52

5 Year Member
i get string algae every spring ..... i leave the leaves that fall in the pond in the fall in the ponds , the turtles like to bury themselves in them over the winter, i think it makes them comfortable ..... the leaves don't break down much over the winter , when it starts to warm up they break down pretty quickly .....the biological filtration is depleted from the winter so it can't handle the load , the better aeriated ponds get less algae . which makes sense .......i remove the leaves and clean the gravel around now and as the water warms up the biological filtration comes back and the algae clears up ....
That makes sense. I havn't had much luck with cleaning the leaves out so far. They all gather in the 5' deep section where there are rocks and nooks and crannies to keep from getting them out. It might be easier in the future when I remove some of the rocks. Right now I have a decent amount of ~5" rocks around the bottom drain to keep everyone out, but I think once the water warms up enough for me to get in I'll pull the rocks out and just adjust the bottom drain so that no one can get in regardless.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
what type of pond vac do you use ? i have a oase pondvac4 , had a bunch of bad reviews , i've had it for i believe 5yrs...... i find it helpful , after 5yrs i'd give it a good review , and i sure don't exactly take care of it ...... i see they have a 5 version now with better reviews ........ if you or anyone that would read this knows of one better i'd sure like to hear about it , cause i find the one i got really helpful , better would be great ........

Paschendale52

5 Year Member
what type of pond vac do you use ? i have a oase pondvac4 , had a bunch of bad reviews , i've had it for i believe 5yrs...... i find it helpful , after 5yrs i'd give it a good review , and i sure don't exactly take care of it ...... i see they have a 5 version now with better reviews ........ if you or anyone that would read this knows of one better i'd sure like to hear about it , cause i find the one i got really helpful , better would be great ........
I don't have a pond vacuum of any kind right now. I've just used a pool net for getting big things out. And when I was setting it up I just got in to move things around. I might have to look into that.