Spotting Pyramiding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ontario
How can you spot signs of pyramiding in a hatchling? I have a new hatchling and i wanna make sure i do everything right also what cause the pyramiding in leopards? I feed him everyday dandelion and kale im going to change it up soon.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Tyler:

Your tortoise is too young to spot pyramiding yet. You will look for the new growth to be "sunk" below the existing scutes, so that it looks like the existing scutes are raised. The new growth appears on that dark brown line in between the scutes. Moisture has an awful lot to do with preventing pyramiding. Keep him moist, give him plenty of exercise and good sunshine.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
so basically the scutes which are like the plates on the carapace right? should be raised for good new growth?

also what is that i would do that would cause the pyramiding?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, you asked how you would spot pyramiding, and that's what my answer was for. The scutes should be the same level as the new growth between the scutes. It would all be smooth with no raised areas.

Pyramiding is mainly caused by too hot and too dry. Keep him moist, make sure he gets lots of exercise and real sunshine

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
tyguy35 said:
How can you spot signs of pyramiding in a hatchling? I have a new hatchling and i wanna make sure i do everything right also what cause the pyramiding in leopards? I feed him everyday dandelion and kale im going to change it up soon.

I lean more towards insufficient hydration as a major cause of pyramiding. There is a lot of evidence that humidity plays a big role, but exactly how much or how often is debatable. That and proper diet, exercise, and natural sunlight you should have nothing to worry about.

Check around the diet section of this forum. There are a lot of good food options you might want to consider.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We are only recently starting to raise some of our African tortoises without pyramiding. It is still somewhat of a mystery as to EXACTLY what causes it and exactly what mechanisms are at work. We know that all of the suggestions listed above will help prevent it. Hydration in the form of soaks and a water bowl. Humidity to help fight off dehydration and keep the keratinized layers of the shell more supple. Diet, exercise and sunshine all seem to play a part too, but know one really knows exactly how much of a part each of these things play. We are still learning and trying to figure it out.

Here is how I like to raise sulcatas and leopards, and so far, it has produced smooth, healthy tortoises for me.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-How-To-Raise-Sulcata-Hatchlings-and-Babies#axzz1TqJaUpT9

Status
Not open for further replies.