Spotted head/legs and double dots on pet store leopard tortoise??

Brit G

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Hello. There's a $250 leopard tortoise for sale at the local pet store. I was wondering why it was more expensive than the usual leopard, and the employee couldn't tell me. Took some photos. It sort of stole my heart with its outgoing personality... employee said it's been there about 2 weeks. Saw it eating lettuce and exploring.

Any way to know for sure if it's a pure P.Pardalis?

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Hello. There's a $250 leopard tortoise for sale at the local pet store. I was wondering why it was more expensive than the usual leopard, and the employee couldn't tell me. Took some photos. It sort of stole my heart with its outgoing personality... employee said it's been there about 2 weeks. Saw it eating lettuce and exploring.

Any way to know for sure if it's a pure P.Pardalis?

Post some pictures of it an we should be able to tell you whether it “looks” pure. But to “know” it’s pure would require knowing who the breeder involved is.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Most likely it isn't pure. I wouldn't think anyone actually breeding pure PP wouldn't sell to a pet store, wouldn't need too. Demand seems higher then quantity available, for a Pure PP.
That leaves it's probably a mix showing more PP so a good possibility it will get larger then the Babs.
The PP do run more then the Babs and for a pet store the price isn't too bad.

Brit G

Texas
Post some pictures of it an we should be able to tell you whether it “looks” pure. But to “know” it’s pure would require knowing who the breeder involved is.
What are your thoughts? Pics posted above. It's harder to see, but even has spots on its neck and legshaha.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sure looks like it could be a pure pp, but no way to tell for sure just by looking. Also, Gpp sell for $300 each normally and a pet store would have to mark up from there. Don't see how they could be selling it so cheap if it was a real pure Gpp.

In any case, its a nice looking tortoise and worth the money in my opinion.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
What are your thoughts? Pics posted above. It's harder to see, but even has spots on its neck and legshaha.

I would lean toward it not being pure. The shape doesn’t appear PP at all. Most pure pp don’t have freckles quite that large. That seems to be more common in mixed pp/Pb babies.

It’s a pretty tortoise and appears healthy so for the price it’s not bad.

Brit G

Texas
What shape does pp seem to have? Bc this one seemed very round and aesthetically pleasing.Will try finding some articles comparing the two subspecieslater tonight. Thank you guys for the input,llearning

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
The South African leopards (pp) tend to have a longer shell shape and lower profile than the more common types that are generally round or more domed shape. Exceptions go both ways, so there really isn't a way to tell for sure if this is pure or not.

The price is OK, but I wouldn't buy it and call it a pure South African leopard ,for religious reasons.

Brit G

Texas
Oh, thank you! Spent some time comparing photos haha
The South African leopards (pp) tend to have a longer shell shape and lower profile than the more common types that are generally round or more domed shape. Exceptions go both ways, so there really isn't a way to tell for sure if this is pure or not.

The price is OK, but I wouldn't buy it and call it a pure South African leopard ,for religious reasons.