Leopard tortoise pricing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
I'd love to hear some input from all of you in regards to leopard tortoise pricing.

I purchased my hatchling from a local breeder for $100.

I have found that price to be average. I hear the pure G.p.p. cost more.

But, what about larger juvenile or adult leopards? What is considered a fair price for one? An outrageous price or great deal?

I ask because I see them for sale occasionally on my local CL. I am not looking to buy one but sometimes I am shocked at the $$amount they ask as a rehoming fee. But maybe it is what someone would be expected to pay?? I really have no clue, which is why I am asking.

I have seen a 4" for $250 with a 10" male for $640 from the same person.

I saw a 11" male for $500something from another poster.

All 3 had very bad pyramiding, but I think may have been in good health otherwise. I do not know for sure, but they didn't have severely overgrown beaks, major MBD or major wounds.

Are these rehoming fees within reason?

I know in the parrot world the purchase of a Macaw could be $1,000 and up. But to purchase one for say $500 is considered a great deal. But that is bird world...maybe not apples to apples comparison??

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Heather , The cost of an animal is really determined by what the person is willing to pay for it . Your example of a hatchling to a Jr. or adult and cost differences hold true for the mere fact “ someone “ had to invest time and money in the upbringing of the larger tort. A hatchling to say 6” in some species might take 4-5 years of “ correct” upbringing to reach that size. A fully grown adult …even longer. Then of course there is species variance , Hypo’s and Morphs. All which are the “ not so common” and like any
marketable product will fetch a higher price. After all.. we are human and have an inbred demand for standing out in the crowd and owning something unique . ….Just peek at your shoes , handbag , car, nails , even hairstyle ….. ;)

JD~:)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I absolutely get what you are saying :) (except for my plain sandal shoes, old handbag, beat up suv, unpainted or painted myself nails and all natural no hairdye hairstyle lol)

I'd love $$examples though. Just cause I am curious and go crazy for details and comparisons..

I hope Neal, Tom and Elliott chime in (and any other leo breeder).
If you were going to sell an adult, what would your asking price be?? If you were selling a well started juvenile that was say 6-8" what would that sell for?

EricIvins

5 Year Member
There isn't an answer to your question. I can ask $20k for an Adult, or I can ask $200. Better yet, I could even let that animal go for free. Asking price is dependent on what the animal is worth to me, and the selling price is dependent on what you are willing to pay. Everything inbetween is semantics at best.......

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Like JD and Eric have said, what one person would consider fair pricing may not be to someone else.

Personally I think $100 is right on for a local pick up of a young leopard (less than 6 months). For me, the cost of raising or holding hatchlings until they sell is very high. It's takes a lot of personal time (which is very valuable to me) along with electricity, water, food, etc...granted, there are ways to bring costs down, but like I said, the way I do things requires a great deal of my personal time. That's primarily why I wholesale hatchlings as soon as possible. It's more profitable for me, and I sell to people I trust will take good care of them or find good homes for them so it's a win win win.

Talking about sub adults and adults, I can only tell you what I would be willing to pay so please take it only as that:

Anything under 10 inches (irregardless of sex), I would consider $200 - $900 or so fair. The price I would be willing to pay would be dependent on age, pattern, behavior, etc...

A female leopard over 10 inches could easily be sold for over $1,000. An egg laying female even more so. A male in the 10 - 12 inch range would be fairly priced at around $1,000, maybe a little less. Any male over 12 inches would be just as valuable as a proven female in my opinion.

Uniquely patterned adults, or smooth adults, I would be willing to pay even as much as $5,000 (it'd have to be a pretty smoking leopard). It just all depends.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Neal said:
Talking about sub adults and adults, I can only tell you what I would be willing to pay so please take it only as that:

thanks!

it gives me a starting point on understanding large leopard's value.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
The pricing of GPB is around USD 150 for 4 inch.

But the price for GPP here is ridiculous at USD 550 for 2-3 inch size.

All those above leopards, we don't know the parents, so we can't predict the hatchlings pattern at all.

I think no breeders at all for leopard torts in my country, as all those torts are imported.

Status
Not open for further replies.