Status
Not open for further replies.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
RE: [split] "Wow she's Big" My new Female Russian C/B

ReptileStation said:
I got my 7 inch female from Petco for $50 bucks a while back.
Yeah, they're not as uncommon as people think, plenty of breeders have 7-8" females. They sell anywhere from $75-125 retail. So you got a great price!

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
grogansilver said:
Floof said:
Sounds like you've made a tortoise lover out of your wife, too! I've never bred Russians, so I really can't say. If you do decide to brumate (what I think the guy you spoke to was trying to describe), make sure you do it right--if they're too warm, you won't do any real good and will only really risk harming them. I'm sure you can find some great information on how to go about brumation the correct way if you do a search.

I know I've heard of people having breeding success with Russians without brumating. That's what I'm going to try at least the first few years while my girls get some good size on them. Both are about 6" so probably a bit too small/immature to produce eggs yet, anyway.
:tort: yeah maybe your right I'm probably going to go your way! i don't think i have it in Me to stick an animal in a box and stick it in the closet i find that inhumane cruel! hay ill get the male Russian and let nature take its course if its meant to happen it will! see thats why i like the Pancakes no Hibernation involved hey once in a while out pops an egg with them! :tort:
I LOVE my pancakes. once i got the hang of keeping them, it was a piece of cake! now i just gotta hatch one some day. ps. dumb question.... is brumating hibernation? thanks.

grogansilver

5 Year Member

GBtortoises said:
ReptileStation said:
Yeah, they're not as uncommon as people think, plenty of breeders have 7-8" females. They sell anywhere from $75-125 retail. So you got a great price!
:tort: GB "Really" Can you come up with a Person or place right now since there so common 7-8" or Bigger Females Because id love to purchase a couple!!! especially at that Price! Id Really love to buy a couple more! I don't know it seems you got knowledge of the market out there were can i get them! :tort:

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
lynnedit said:
The only other thing with Russians (and some other torts), is having one male and one female can be very hard on the female over time, if the male is constantly harassing her. That's why people recommend one male to three females. If she is bothered a lot, she may hide all of the time, then you won't have eggs at all...
She is a nice looking tort, tho
i do agree with you. kinda have that going on now. i would love to get another female or two, some day. would need bigger space for them. thats coming soon. funny you said that and i am having that happening.my male is pretty protective of his female.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
The big females may be pretty common over on the East coast, but they've proven to be pretty few and far out west... :)

Momo--Basically, yes, "brumation" is the reptile adaptation/version of "hibernation."

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State

grogansilver said:
GBtortoises said:
ReptileStation said:
:tort: GB "Really" Can you come up with a Person or place right now since there so common 7-8" or Bigger Females Because id love to purchase a couple!!! especially at that Price! Id Really love to buy a couple more! I don't know it seems you got knowledge of the market out there were can i get them! :tort:
Sure, I know where there is at least one for sale for $350, really close by you. Breeders rarely sell breeding size females, of any species. Why? Because they're breeders, they breed them, not buy them one day and re-sell them the next.
But if you want to purchase any of the four 7-7.5" inch proven females that I currently have for $350 each. I would probably sell a couple. Because there are more out there for a third that price if you know where to look.

Lulu

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
I have two females that are 7-8" and my husband has one, but they're not for sale. I got mine as part of a 1.3 group from someone that wanted out of Russians. Mine were significantly less than $350. In fact, the group was about a third of that.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I hibernate mine every year, and I don't have eggs yet,but my male had impregnated females and they have produced eggs. My female is to small to mate.

grogansilver

5 Year Member
dmmj said:
I hibernate mine every year, and I don't have eggs yet,but my male had impregnated females and they have produced eggs. My female is to small to mate.
:tort: I need a large Male! i Have and will trade a C/B Female or Male Russian who's about 4" and gorgeous for a large male so i can Breed it to my Large Female Russian Tortoise! Plus if successful and i get Babies the person will get one of the Hatchings free of charge and i am a man of my word it will be done! :tort:

zzzdanz

5 Year Member
Boston
She's a nice looking Russian, but I'm with GB on this "Because there are more out there for a third that price if you know where to look"..ya really don't have to look all that hard either.

She'll make a nice breeder. Good luck with her.

grogansilver

5 Year Member
zzzdanz said:
She's a nice looking Russian, but I'm with GB on this "Because there are more out there for a third that price if you know where to look"..ya really don't have to look all that hard either.

She'll make a nice breeder. Good luck with her.
:tort: Every body agrees with GB? He's my Hero too! But 'zzzdanz' Why thank you for the encouragement! when i get those Hatchings your be on my list of new Homes for them to go too when and if the time ever comes, if you'd like. :tort:

Status
Not open for further replies.