[split] What subspecies of Hermann are my two?

Status
Not open for further replies.

janst

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Newcastle Upon Tyne
What species if Hermanns are Harry and Lola?ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1365406530.448461.jpgImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1365406561.381620.jpg

Hi Andrea sorry for hijacking your post I am new to forum and haven't quiet worked out how to post properly yet!
Janet

Last edited by a moderator:

Andrea M

5 Year Member
What subspecies of Hermann is Hokie?

No problem, lovely torts

ScottishFish

5 Year Member
Scotland

Like the above, a picture of their underside close up helps. The pectoral and femoral scutes are an easy indication.

1 Eastern Hermanns Tortoise 2.5yo

janst

5 Year Member
Newcastle Upon Tyne

Ok here they are, do they not mind being upside down?ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1365433345.434389.jpg that is Lola this s Harry ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1365433380.225315.jpg I think they are about 3 years old.
Janet :)

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
RE: What subspecies of Hermann is Hokie?

They are both T. hermanni boettgeri.

janst

5 Year Member
Newcastle Upon Tyne

Do you think their shells are ok should they be smooth or raised like mine are, I don't know much about what is normal . :-(
ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1365545477.491963.jpgImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1365545497.307048.jpg
Janst

robopeen

5 Year Member
SF Bay Area

janst said:
Do you think their shells are ok should they be smooth or raised like mine are, I don't know much about what is normal . :-(

Janst

Yeah, ideally they should be smooth. Are you feeding them a varied diet of weeds and keeping them well hydrated? Do they have a UVB light?

janst

5 Year Member
Newcastle Upon Tyne

They have a uv light on for 8 hours a day they have heat via heat mats, feed hem a selection of green veg, cabbage lettuce, cauliflower leaves, carrot small amount of tons and cucumber. No weeds yet as in uk nothing is growing yet not even weeds.... I have had them for about 3 months.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State

There should be approximately 15 hours of daylight available which does not need to be all from a UV source but can be general light. UV is very important to their growth and development but so is light in general to their normal activity. It is light, both duration & intensity, as well as temperature that determines a tortoises daily activity level as well as general routine.
Their diet should consist of approximately 85% good quality, varied greens which should be primarily weeds, but grocery store greens when weeds are not available. The rest of the diet should be good quality, varied vegetables.

janst

5 Year Member
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Hi they have natural light as well, I also soak them for 5 to 10 mins every couple of days. They have a meadow hay, grass mix to forage around in, the eat well. They will be moving into a new bigger table in the next couple of weeks. ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1365751055.406155.jpg

robopeen

5 Year Member
SF Bay Area

janst said:
They have a uv light on for 8 hours a day they have heat via heat mats, feed hem a selection of green veg, cabbage lettuce, cauliflower leaves, carrot small amount of tons and cucumber. No weeds yet as in uk nothing is growing yet not even weeds.... I have had them for about 3 months.

Ahh, so the pillowing happened before you got them! You can try feeding them machè if you can get it. My tort loves that stuff.

http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp?mode=main&catID=686

That site has a lot of good info about feeding options.

Oh, also. In terms of water, my tort loved to drink from her terra cotta planter dish. Just get a large one of those and put some water in it. It's shallow so they can't drown but they can still drink. You can feed them on one as well so their beaks will get ground down and not grow too long.

tortoise_man1

5 Year Member
Michigan
I just looked up hermans tortoise and compared your pics and the pics on wiki and I think that they both
t. h. hermanni

But I could be wrong, it is worth farther research :)

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Oops, tortoise_man1, you missed it. HermanniChris has already identified them above. Welcome janst! Lots of great info on this forum for the care of your babies. Search and read, and as you see, awesome experts will chime in! : )

Status
Not open for further replies.