[split] concerned about leg scales

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortoiseWorld

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Lisle Illinois
Do the legs on this mountain look normal?

Not foam but a clear mucus just before a pee, only seen it one time.

Is 6" cb, 3yr old sex unknown

thank you

8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Patrick:

The Manouria emys phayrei usually has "rougher" looking leg scales than the emys emys, but your tortoise's scales really do look a bit wild. Are you giving the tortoise enough calcium?

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
In case this is the line of thinking, scales are not composed of calcium.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
They look a little crazy bit I mean I don't see anything "wrong"maybe Vic Morgan can shine light on this

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Baoh said:

No, I didn't think that...what I thought was the wild toenails when a box turtle is suffering from MBD and poor nutrition. Didn't know if there might be a correlation between claws and scales or not.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
emysemys said:
Baoh said:

No, I didn't think that...what I thought was the wild toenails when a box turtle is suffering from MBD and poor nutrition. Didn't know if there might be a correlation between claws and scales or not.

Maybe for the bed. Not sure on that. I am not concerned by the claws based on what the photo shows, but the limbs scales look a bit distorted to me. I usually only notice that in RFs which have not been maintained in adequate humidity, but this animal's carapace, from what I can see, indicates humidity was adequate. Another possibility is a presence of some fungal species (although that often causes some discoloration that I am not seeing here, but maybe that is due to the dark scale color for this species). Maybe applying a light amount of antifungal cream to the scales could be of benefit if so.

TortoiseWorld

5 Year Member
Lisle Illinois
Thank you :D

By the way I did not start this thread and no one asked me if it was okay to start a thread with it. Next time just IM me and ask.
Thank you.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
SaveTheTortoise said:
Thank you :D

By the way I did not start this thread and no one asked me if it was okay to start a thread with it. Next time just IM me and ask.
Thank you.

Whenever someone "hi-jacks" another person's thread with a question of their own, we will split it off and make a new thread out of it. No permission is required. It is only good forum manners to not hi-jack someone else's thread with your questions.

TortoiseWorld

5 Year Member
Lisle Illinois
Yvonne, so are you saying when someone posts a new thread, no one is allowed to ask questions?
My questions were about his BMT's and it's enclosure and then I asked about his BMT leg scales and if this BMT looked normal since his 2 are of the same age and species.
I think we should ask Millerlite if asking a question that is related to his tortoises and thread is bad manners? I understand your the TFO monitor but I think you over reacted.

You should look at the whole original post titled "Here are some" date: 2/4/2013
I think I posted 3 or 4 times in his thread, it wasn't just that one post which you took out and made a new thread.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, that's not what I'm saying at all. You can ask the OP any questions pertaining to his subject that you want to. But you asked a question about YOUR tortoise, not about millerlite's tortoises or habitat. This would have taken the thread in a new direction, and away from Millerlite's subject.

And now I think we should take this conversation to the PM venue, as we're certainly getting off topic.

TortoiseWorld

5 Year Member
Lisle Illinois
emysemys said:
No, that's not what I'm saying at all. You can ask the OP any questions pertaining to his subject that you want to. But you asked a question about YOUR tortoise, not about millerlite's tortoises or habitat. This would have taken the thread in a new direction, and away from Millerlite's subject.

And now I think we should take this conversation to the PM venue, as we're certainly getting off topic.

IF YOU MAKE THE EFFORT TO READ HIS THREAD, you would read I did ask him about his tortoise's legs and to post some pics of his habitat, also I never said that it was MY tortoise. Millerlites post is titled "Here are some" date: 2/4/2013

I WROTE:
Hello Millerlite,
Nice pics and nice BMT's, thank you for posting. Can you post here a pic of the whole BMT enclosure? I am starting to build one now and need inspiration.
Thank you!
HSure! Right now they are indoors cuz of my living situation at the moment, but its a 6 foot by 2 foot terrarium. I had them outdoors for almost all their lives. When I get home ill dig some pictures up. I'll post some of my outdoor ones too,E WROTE:
I WROTE:
Question about their front legs. Are the scales laying smooth and flat or are the spike like a pine cone?
AND:
Also what is your thoughts about parasites in CB mountains? Have you ever noticed a glob of thick clear mucus come out before they pee? I heard thats not normal and a sign of parasites.
Thank you
HE WROTE:
The scales are smooth not really pine cone like. But they so have bigger scales then other Toetoises, almost armor like. Also no parasites, not to long ago there were not very many cb mountain Toetoises a lot of imports would come in and they would be loaded with parasites, tough to care for and rehab back. Captive bred mountain Toetoises are better and easier to keep cuz you don't have to deal with the parasites. My tortoise never have had foam come out of their nose or mouth. That would however be a bad sign, sounds like ri not parasites
A FEW DAYS LATER HE POSTED THE PICS I REQUESTED:
Here are a few pictures of the enclosure sorry took a few days here are a few when I first got my tank. After that they trampled plants and I redid the caves
I POSTED A PIC OF THE SAME BMT SAME SIZE AS HIS, I NEVER SEEN THAT BEFORE AND WANTED TO KNOW IF HE THOUGHT IT WAS NORMAL.
I don’t think it was that far off topic as you make it sound.

About PM’s, I sent you one yesterday thanking you for your concern and you never wrote back, I also requested someone PM me before putting the spot light on my post rather than his, no one PM me, then you started all this about my manners, now you want me to take it to PM?
This is a community forum I feel like I have been a good member and contributor, and maybe I am being too defensive about this when it is implied I hi-jacked a thread and that I don't have good manners. It makes me less enthusiastic about this forum and posting, maybe this is your objective?

emysbreeder

5 Year Member
SaveTheTortoise said:

thank you
Patrick, We talked breifly about this and I'll share thouse thoughts with the fourm members as I am always needing feedback from other owners of Mt"s. I do not know why this happens but it appears to be a captive syndrome only. Wild caught that came in back in the import hayday had front leg scales layed down flat. Over the years of producing Mt. torts, both ssp. people would send me pictures and they all had a more spicky look to varying degrees. It may just be over feeding in general or something missing in the diet I suppose. As very young babies and juvies start to grow a turned up scale will rub on the eye as it retracks. It will at some point cause a callous in the form of a white dot at the edge of eye. Do not try to remove it .As the tortoises grows the calloused area will serve it well as they plow through thick vegatation, substrate debry ect as they hide or build nest. It seems to be more pronounced in phayrei but occures in both ssp. I'd really like to know the "proven cause" of this so we can keep their natural comformation it tack. Other un-natural developments in captives are carapace"s with high ares in the middle of the carapace scutes instead of the more natural smooth with a slite dimpling in some costals and vertebrals in the rear half of the shell. As babies they grow with the outer edge of the carapace scutes raised. This continues to grow inward until the dimpled area fills in. They loose the flat look will become more domed looking as the grouth rings between the marginals and costals stack up. OK my finger is tired I'll talk to ya later. Tortoise on. Vic morgan emysbreeder.

motoloco

10 Year Member!
emysbreeder said:
SaveTheTortoise said:

thank you
Patrick, We talked breifly about this and I'll share thouse thoughts with the fourm members as I am always needing feedback from other owners of Mt"s. I do not know why this happens but it appears to be a captive syndrome only. Wild caught that came in back in the import hayday had front leg scales layed down flat. Over the years of producing Mt. torts, both ssp. people would send me pictures and they all had a more spicky look to varying degrees. It may just be over feeding in general or something missing in the diet I suppose. As very young babies and juvies start to grow a turned up scale will rub on the eye as it retracks. It will at some point cause a callous in the form of a white dot at the edge of eye. Do not try to remove it .As the tortoises grows the calloused area will serve it well as they plow through thick vegatation, substrate debry ect as they hide or build nest. It seems to be more pronounced in phayrei but occures in both ssp. I'd really like to know the "proven cause" of this so we can keep their natural comformation it tack. Other un-natural developments in captives are carapace"s with high ares in the middle of the carapace scutes instead of the more natural smooth with a slite dimpling in some costals and vertebrals in the rear half of the shell. As babies they grow with the outer edge of the carapace scutes raised. This continues to grow inward until the dimpled area fills in. They loose the flat look will become more domed looking as the grouth rings between the marginals and costals stack up. OK my finger is tired I'll talk to ya later. Tortoise on. Vic morgan emysbreeder.

Thanks for the great info I own a 9 inch female black, and while her scales look nowhere near as odd as the above pic they donot appear as uniform as some of the pics i have seen. But i do see the potential to be an issue with the eye rub.

Status
Not open for further replies.