Spider Tortoise Update - Pyxis arachnoides arachnoides

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Hey everyone,

My partner at theturtleroom, Steve, visited my "compound" a few weeks ago, and was able to get some good shots of my animals, sicnes his camera is much better than mine.

I hope you like the photos and thanks for looking. I am really hoping to get one or two more of these this year to add to my group of four.

Regards,

Anthony

Attachments

• 2013-0114-arachnoides1-side-head-02.jpg
    2013-0114-arachnoides1-side-head-02.jpg
    459.7 KB · Views: 123
  • 2013-0114-arachnoides1-02.jpg
    2013-0114-arachnoides1-02.jpg
    684.8 KB · Views: 192
  • 2013-0114-arachnoides-group-02.jpg
    2013-0114-arachnoides-group-02.jpg
    706.4 KB · Views: 140

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
They look great. How old are these guys? They look around 4-5. Should be hitting a good growth spurt soon at that size.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Nope!! I wish they were that old... They're maybe a month over a year and a half old. I hope they grow up on the faster end. I'm so impatient!!!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Oh man I was way off haha. Well they look great anyways. They will get there. I thought mine I grew up would never get to adulthood but one of the PAA I sold to Arizona tortoise compound seems she might be ready to lay this year for them. She is only 9 years old. Patience is definitely needed in the tortoise world.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
I'm working on an educational video on Spider Tortoises, using HD video of my group and narration based on a profile I just wrote for theturtleroom.com, with help from some pretty big Pyxis people whom I was excited to have share their insight.

As soon as I finish it, I will definitely show it off here on TFO. Should be done in the next couple days, as when I get excited about something, it's kinda tough to get me to slow down on it.

markooij82

5 Year Member
That is a very very cool video !!!!!
Very interesting.
The main interesting thing is i have also 2 smaller Pyxis but they are even old as the other but they weight two times more.
The funny thing is that the smaller to are also more active and faster waking up wenn it is spring.
I personally think it could be possible that those two here are males even they are to little to determ that now

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Very interesting!! I hope we can continue to compare notes to see if that trend holds true. I really don't know what it is, but that very small one is soooooo much more active that the others. Very interesting at the very least.

Status
Not open for further replies.