Sphagnum Moss

Reptilelove

Location (City and/or State)
Plymouth
That stuff is good, especially in a hide, it will be really humid so excellent. What substrate do you use?

Alaskamike

South Florida
I use organic garden soil. Have always had good luck with that. Wanted to put the moss under soil on one end and use it for hide bedding.
They do nip at the dirt sometimes. Even take little bite out of the soil ( bark & dried weed pieces.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
I've found this brand to be just as full of sticks and other crap as actual moss. Its also verrrrrryyyyy dusty and dry right outof the bag. This is one instance I prefer shelling out an extra couple bucks on pet store products. I prefer the moss that comes in a box, I think it's from Zoomed...terrarium moss, I think is what it's labeled as, but it's long fibred sphagnum moss. There's much less other junk in there, and it's nice and green and pretty for a while. Its also nice and soft.

Turtlepete

South Florida
I've found this brand to be just as full of sticks and other crap as actual moss. Its also verrrrrryyyyy dusty and dry right outof the bag. This is one instance I prefer shelling out an extra couple bucks on pet store products. I prefer the moss that comes in a box, I think it's from Zoomed...terrarium moss, I think is what it's labeled as, but it's long fibred sphagnum moss. There's much less other junk in there, and it's nice and green and pretty for a while. Its also nice and soft.

Wonder if you got a bad batch. Have used this exact product extensively with great results. All spaghnum contains very small amounts of sticks typically, but never found this brand to be worse then others. Also it should be moistened anyways, so dust is never really an issue…?

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
I thought maybe a bad batch too, but three bags I have bought on separate occasions were just full of junk.

That's just my experience with it though.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
My guys love to hide under it.

May, Aussies, & THBs
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

TurtleBug

10 Year Member!
I like to buy premium quality, long fiber sphagnum moss from New Zealand. Besgrow's "Spagmoss" is one that's commonly available, for example, on Amazon. "Spagmoss" has nice texture and color. It's clean and very soft. Great for hatchlings. I like to buy it in 0.5 kg and 1 kg sizes so that I always have some on hand. "Spagmoss" is sold in compressed blocks that save space when stored.

creekperson

Is this Peat Moss? I thought they were the same. I am using peat moss and top soil mixed up together, is this ok

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
Peat moss is basically broken down sphagnum moss. Decomposing. In fact, you can grow fresh moss on top of peat moss. :)

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Is this Peat Moss? I thought they were the same. I am using peat moss and top soil mixed up together, is this ok
That's the mixture I use in my outdoor pen. It can be used indoor also. But it probably wouldn't hold as much moisture as the sphagnum moss by itself for a humid hide.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I prefer New Zealand long fibred sphagnum moss.

Star-of-India

10 Year Member!

I use this brand and like it, but the packages are variable. I now open it into a dishpan in the sink while running a light shower of water on it with the spray/jet attachment. That way if the package is a dusty one it's quickly under control and doesn't create a mess of sphagnum dust. As I get it wet I pull out any long hard stems and it ends up as pretty nice sphagnum.