Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
This subject came up on another thread and I found this article by Darrell Senneke:

[Darrell Senneke] Turtles are often solitary in the wild so if they meet they usually breed. This is because if they had to wait till the perfect time many would not meet another turtle at that time. Turtles and tortoises practice what is called sperm retention. What we mean by this is that the female can hold the sperm within her for long periods (years in fact) to be used as the eggs develop. The eggs developing is triggered by environmental factors which cause hormone production which triggers the formation of the eggs. The female then uses the stored sperm to fertilize the eggs. I have had female box turtles lay fertile eggs three years after being separated from any male.

The way to tell if a female turtle or tortoise is ready to lay eggs is based on simple observation. If it is an aquatic kept in a habitat without a large land area or adequate nesting area it will usually act as if it wants out and be very persistent about it. If it is a terrestrial turtle or tortoise it will pace, sometimes even stopping to sniff the ground. This is a good indication that it is looking for a nesting site. At this point it is necessary to provide a nesting location for the turtle or tortoise. If you think the turtle may be gravid (holding eggs) and it refuses to lay when provided with a nesting location or it exhibits none of the indications noted above a veterinarian can take a radiograph (X-ray) to determine for certain if eggs are present. .

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Very interesting read Yvonne thanks for posting it.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Yes females can retain sperm, usually though it's just for a season. As far as I know only box turtles have been found to have a specific place to retain sperm and keep it alive for years.
That in and of itself is amazing when you look at mammalian sperm not lasting for more than 4 hours after being released. Mammals, though they can't store sperm, can in some species delay development of the embryo for periods of up to 6 months.

Danny

Kadaan

5 Year Member
Irvine, CA
Stephanie Logan said:
Wow. I guess that is the polar opposite of contraception.;)

Or maybe it's the best form? They can control the sperm and choose whether or not to fertilize the eggs, so if they never want to they don't have to!

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Kadaan said:
Stephanie Logan said:
Wow. I guess that is the polar opposite of contraception.;)

Or maybe it's the best form? They can control the sperm and choose whether or not to fertilize the eggs, so if they never want to they don't have to!

Indeed! Well said.:p

Madortoise

5 Year Member
egyptiandan said:
Yes females can retain sperm, usually though it's just for a season. As far as I know only box turtles have been found to have a specific place to retain sperm and keep it alive for years.
That in and of itself is amazing when you look at mammalian sperm not lasting for more than 4 hours after being released. Mammals, though they can't store sperm, can in some species delay development of the embryo for periods of up to 6 months.

Danny

Danny, I heard that California desert tortoises can actually carry sperms for years until the environment is just right. The eggs just might be smaller then. I am so in awe with the wildlife intelligence. This is how tortoises outlived dinosaurs!! I wished humans could be more like this--to be more in sync w/nature & environment...though who knows this may be happening already w/increased issues of infertility, chemicals and other factors aside.

alfiethetortoise

10 Year Member!
England
Danny, i am pretty sure that human females can 'store' sperm over a period of 4 days. In many cases, the actualy moment of conception (should it occur) isn't always on the day of mating but anytime up to four days later.... So perhaps, not all mamalls :)

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Not sure about the sperm carrying ability of Desert tortoise females, but all female tortoises will wait to shell eggs if they don't feel conditions are right. Those conditions though have nothing to do with whether conditions are fine for eggs. It's the food availability to the female that dictates whether she will lay eggs or not. Yolks are valuable fat reserves and if a female isn't getting enough nutrition, she will not expend those valuable fat reserves to lay eggs.
Better for a female to live and lay another year, than for her to expend herself and die during hard times.

Your right sperm outside the body only lasts 4 hours :) Inside a female under perfect conditions they can last about 5 days (the things you learn by googling :)). The perfect conditions being the right kind of muscus, which keeps the sperm alive (not really storing it though :p). Under normal conditions sperm will only live a day or 2 inside a female. It's much to hostile in there normally :D

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.