Speke's Hingeback? Please help with ID.

l3itch20

Location (City and/or State)
Highlands Ranch
I'm pretty confident he is a Speke's Hingeback, but would like any input you're willing to offer. I just rescued him, so he's not in the best shape. Any observations are very welcome!

5Bu8ny5

M2arRuK

ErAHI68

cipMArF

8KArZQ5

qZMUFOW

CL16bj1

RhnbzIN

l3itch20

Highlands Ranch
Thank you so much! I love him so much already and just want to make sure we are providing him with the best care. Knowing what exactly he is will help!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Definitely a hingeback

@Markw84 Can probably also help you

l3itch20

Highlands Ranch
Rescued him from what?

He was posted for free on Craigslist. Not necessarily in a bad home, but not ideal. They didn't really know how to properly care for him. I'm surprised he looks so good considering they didn't even know what kind of tortoise he was. He's never seen anything other than terrarium carpet/liner and was being fed green peppers and cucumber only. They wanted to make sure he went to a good home because they knew he wasn't getting the care and attention he needed. Very nice people. They said he hasn't been eating or coming out of his hide for weeks. He is very active here, running around the house all day, but we haven't gotten him to eat anything yet. He was very dried out when he got here but with lots of soaking time and moist coconut fiber to dig in he's looking much better already. He has a vet appointment on the 18th with my exotics vet who is amazing. Hopefully we can work on some of his issues.

l3itch20

Highlands Ranch
The coolest part about him.. He is the sweetest thing ever. He loves attention, never hides from us, and will even chill on my lap and take a snooze. He seems to really enjoy being around us and getting petted and pampered. He's a total love bug.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
So an adoption, not a rescue. Just clearing because he didn't look bad.

l3itch20

Highlands Ranch
So an adoption, not a rescue. Just clearing because he didn't look bad.

Well, I consider an "adoption" a rescue. Just as my dog that came from the animal shelter was actually "adopted," I rescued him. If an animal doesn't have a forever loving home where they are provided adequate care they need to be rescued.

I didn't post his medical issues as I'm leaving that for the vet. I was just looking for validation on species.

Your response was not a warm welcome and I will bring my questions elsewhere going forward.

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
Sounds like he is a lucky tort. His diet alone was terrible with the previous owners. Enjoy your new tort. He’s very cute.