spag moss- how to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

borjawil

10 Year Member!
So its been a couple months since i was on here. Got my first sully then. So ive just completed his enclosure for the winter and its massive (I live in michigan and hes 50lbs). Its 8 by 12 with insulated walls. Any who my question is for his hide box (an old plastic dog house) how do i use spag moss in it? Ive bought it at my local pet store, which was quite expensive for the amount i got. 12'' by 12'' by 2'' or a 1/2 kilo for $20. Is that a normal price for it? Any who here are my questiosn:

- do i just lay it down on the bottom of the hid box and wetten it? guessing i should wetten it when its dry or the humidity drops or should i do it everyday so it doesnt dry out?
- How thick should it be laid down?
- when should i change it?

Thanks

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
I don't do Sulcatas, but I would not be using Sphagnum Moss in that sort of habitat, I'd use Cypress Mulch instead.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The "humid-hide-sphag-moss" trick is for babies. Your big fellow doesn't need the moss. He can get by with just a regular substrate of coco coir chips or cypress mulch.

Be sure to send us some pictures. WE LOVE PICTURES!!

borjawil

10 Year Member!
well what about hay? I have a lot of straw hay for his bedding.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
I would like to see pics of your enclosure and your tort :)

borjawil

10 Year Member!
here are some pics of the enclosure and tort. Got a few thing to finish like his water dish and finishing his hide. For the water dish should I just use something like a dog bowl or a shallow tub with a ramp in and out for him to get in to?
Ive covered and stapled a tarp to the outside of the enclosure to keep the wood dry from rain and snow. Its cheaper than siding and shingles so hopefully it works!

http://s957.photobucket.com/albums/ae52/borjawil/Tort/

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
How cute to see that great big old tort trying to go into that little box!
I'm guessing that you're still working on the front? That's going to work just fine. Its big enough that he can get away from his heat source if he wants to, and small enough that its not going to take much to heat it up. Maggie has a dog water bowl for her big sulcata. One of those heavy crock bowls. I use the top of a garbage dumpster, however, mine is outside. He gets right into it. But for inside his shed, I think a water bowl would do the trick.

borjawil

10 Year Member!
ok well that makes it a bit easier. I have already done the front its a big ole door that folds down into a ramp he can crawl down in warmer weather. Glad you enjoyed the pics those were earlier ones when he was living in my house while I built his enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.