soon to be turtle mommy

Status
Not open for further replies.

countrygirl011

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ohio
hi all figured id introduce myself here.
i just ordered a red foot hatchling on monday .
i thought i had done enough research about the site (reptile city)
then came accross the horrible reviews yesterday .
so im hoping all goes wwell and my little guy arrives safe and sound. should know more today on when he will ship here.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Welcome to TFO! So you have gotten a redfoted hatchling, those are great tortoises. :D What made you decide on that type? Why don't you, while your waiting for him/her to arrive, tell us a bit about how you have things setup in the enclosure? That way we can help you tweak it (if any thing does need to be done), so it's already when the little one arrives. :tort:

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Hi and welcome!!
What part of Ohio are
you from? I am in Ohio too!
brrrr......cold huh?

countrygirl011

5 Year Member
ohio
Jacqui said:
Welcome to TFO! So you have gotten a redfoted hatchling, those are great tortoises. :D What made you decide on that type? Why don't you, while your waiting for him/her to arrive, tell us a bit about how you have things setup in the enclosure? That way we can help you tweak it (if any thing does need to be done), so it's already when the little one arrives. :tort:

well i could't find any russian hatchlings avaliable, and redfoots were my second choice.
size and price were both pretty big factors.
right now i have a 20 gal. tank set up.
only temporary until later on (i have a baby due in 2 months and we have baby stuff shoved everywhere ) so the turtle will stay in the aquarium for a little while and them i will move him to a bigger cage, im thinkin the rabbit cage that i have (the indoor kind with a plastic bottom and metal top) its the 2nd largest size you can but so it would be big enough for quite a while.
substrate i go one of the compressed coccunut fiber block. made part of it, and mixed that with sand. and am going to mix in a little moss (also came in a compressed block just havent made it yet)
i have a water bowl thats actually one of the things you put under a plant to catch water drainage (its clay not plastic. so shallow but heavy)
a wood hide . cuttlebone. a foodbowl that has steps going up to it.
and still on the search for the perfect plant bcuz it looks like of plain.
im just having trouble deciding what all to use because i have no clue how small a hatchling redfoot is. (i know small) but i do better with something to campair it to in size.
oh and i have a heatlamp with a 50w bulb (sunglow i think if not something similar . the petco guy reccomended it)

countrygirl011

5 Year Member
ohio
luvpetz27 said:
Hi and welcome!!
What part of Ohio are
you from? I am in Ohio too!
brrrr......cold huh?

from near dayton
temps aren't too hateful if the wind stays down.

countrygirl011

5 Year Member
ohio
little one should ship out tonight and be here tomarrow.
i have moss hydrating on the table (one of the compressed blocks you add water to)
and hopefully will be getting some kind of a fake plant tomarrow to add a little more cover/character to the tank

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
Wish I could help with the REdfoot info. l am happy for you a baby & a baby tort :O) Keep us posted when it arrives & don't forget pictures!

countrygirl011

5 Year Member
ohio
just got back from picking up my new addition.
hes much bigger than i expected.
hes atleast 3-4 inches yet i ordered a hatchling.

and i have no clue how to post a photo?? hope my attempt worked

Attachments

• IMAG0343.jpg
    IMAG0343.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMAG0344.jpg
    IMAG0344.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 11

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What a pretty baby. He may not be a hatchling, but I think you'll do better with this one, as he's a bit older and heartier. He's still a very young tortoise, just not a hatchling.

countrygirl011

5 Year Member
ohio
i can't get him to eat.
i figured he would be hungry because he was in transit for atleast 24 hours.
no luck yet.
i offered romaine and collard greens lastnight. setting the bowl infront of him. and i left it in there for a few hours thinking maybe he would eat when we left the room. no go .
he simply bobs his head up and down . (does this mean something?)
and any ways i can entice him to eat? or do i just have to wait it out?

Status
Not open for further replies.