Hi! New member to this site

Txkelly72

Location (City and/or State)
Rhome, Tx
Hi Everyone, Im a new member to this site. I have found a lot of help here in my searches and thought it was time I became a member.
About a year and a half ago I took in 2 "female" tortoise. I was told they were about 5 years old but as time went on I would say more like 2 years old. I did a lot of research and learned all I could. They werent in horrible shape but had/have pyramiding. I wanted to make sure this didnt continue. Just recently I discovered that the bigger one was a boy thanks to a prolapse penis. Long story short I lost him thanks to a very uneducated reptile vet. A week after his passing the other one also showed me he was male LOL no prolapse just playing in his pool. I really miss having 2, and they dont co-habitate, I decided to start again but with a hatchling. I picked him up a few days ago and am so in love.
I converted a 6 foot by 3 foot bookcase into a tortoise table which I blocked off 75% off due to his size and keeping heat and humidity in.
Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself, Koopa (3 yr old) and Koa ( hatchling). I have learned so much from this site already.

Attachments

• 66729612_10217030940940026_2241204657646993408_n.jpg
    66729612_10217030940940026_2241204657646993408_n.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 14

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome glad you joined. Show us your enclosure and if it needs any tweaking we can help.
Koa is adorable!

Txkelly72

Rhome, Tx
The first picture was a few days ago before i got him. The second picture is revamped today because I was having problems with heat and humidity. Subtrate is 70% coco coir and 30% topsoil. Basking light is 100 watt and uvb is t8 10.0 24 inch. I am going to pick up a che bulb tonight. I thought I had extra. Would love any advice. I want to make sure I do right by Koa

Attachments

• 20190712_144147.jpg
    20190712_144147.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 13
  • 20190715_100740.jpg
    20190715_100740.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 12

DylannMikeyy

Ct
Hi Everyone, Im a new member to this site. I have found a lot of help here in my searches and thought it was time I became a member.
About a year and a half ago I took in 2 "female" tortoise. I was told they were about 5 years old but as time went on I would say more like 2 years old. I did a lot of research and learned all I could. They werent in horrible shape but had/have pyramiding. I wanted to make sure this didnt continue. Just recently I discovered that the bigger one was a boy thanks to a prolapse penis. Long story short I lost him thanks to a very uneducated reptile vet. A week after his passing the other one also showed me he was male LOL no prolapse just playing in his pool. I really miss having 2, and they dont co-habitate, I decided to start again but with a hatchling. I picked him up a few days ago and am so in love.
I converted a 6 foot by 3 foot bookcase into a tortoise table which I blocked off 75% off due to his size and keeping heat and humidity in.
Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself, Koopa (3 yr old) and Koa ( hatchling). I have learned so much from this site already.

This is why whoever sells tortoises should be able to tell wether it's a male or female. That's sad but I love hatchling tortoises.

MPappagallo

Myrtle Beach, SC
Awwww.....he's a little cutie! Welcome to the forum!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
This is why whoever sells tortoises should be able to tell wether it's a male or female. That's sad but I love hatchling tortoises.
Many breeders try to incubate for males or females. Like Crocodilians. By temperature.
But it doesn't work that easily in general and there is no other easy way to tell what sex they are right up until they are several years old.
If someone promises you a Male or a female hatchling, don't count on them being correct....Though they do have a 50% chance of being correct.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
The first picture was a few days ago before i got him. The second picture is revamped today because I was having problems with heat and humidity. Subtrate is 70% coco coir and 30% topsoil. Basking light is 100 watt and uvb is t8 10.0 24 inch. I am going to pick up a che bulb tonight. I thought I had extra. Would love any advice. I want to make sure I do right by Koa
Very nice setup. Instead of top soil when it's time to change. Go with coco coir and then use reptibark or cypress mulch on top. Make sure the cypress mulch is 100% and a mix of other forest products. I would get some mulch on top of what you have now.
The water dishes are flipping hazard for your small sully. I have the same 2 water dishes sitting on a shelf in the garage. A terracotta dish for the drinking dish and press down in the substrate.
If it was me your soaking dish I would eliminate. Soak Koa in a small tub of warm water everyday for 1/2 hr.
You could use that area for a basking spot.
On my phone I cant tell if you have a clear top. To accomplish a good humidity level the top needs to be completely covered.
I love your landscaping. Koa will be happy there for sure.

Txkelly72

Rhome, Tx
Very nice setup. Instead of top soil when it's time to change. Go with coco coir and then use reptibark or cypress mulch on top. Make sure the cypress mulch is 100% and a mix of other forest products. I would get some mulch on top of what you have now.
The water dishes are flipping hazard for your small sully. I have the same 2 water dishes sitting on a shelf in the garage. A terracotta dish for the drinking dish and press down in the substrate.
If it was me your soaking dish I would eliminate. Soak Koa in a small tub of warm water everyday for 1/2 hr.
You could use that area for a basking spot.
On my phone I cant tell if you have a clear top. To accomplish a good humidity level the top needs to be completely covered.
I love your landscaping. Koa will be happy there for sure.
Thank you! I will get some mulch for him. I do soak him everyday but he does climb into that shallow dish all the time. I will remove it and use terracotta instead. Thank you. I didnt have a top at first but as you said I had an issue with humidity and heat so the whole thing is covered except for a small portion. I have since changed a few things like the hide. He wasnt using the log so I cut a walkway in a plastic tub and he loves it. Thankfully he stays at the one end so Ive rearranged for him. I appreciate the advice and help. I will make the changes.

DylannMikeyy

Ct
Many breeders try to incubate for males or females. Like Crocodilians. By temperature.
But it doesn't work that easily in general and there is no other easy way to tell what sex they are right up until they are several years old.
If someone promises you a Male or a female hatchling, don't count on them being correct....Though they do have a 50% chance of being correct.
Wow, I didn't know that much about hatchlings as I got my tortoise secondhand when he was at the age of 3 and they could confirm he was a boy.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Thank you! I will get some mulch for him. I do soak him everyday but he does climb into that shallow dish all the time. I will remove it and use terracotta instead. Thank you. I didnt have a top at first but as you said I had an issue with humidity and heat so the whole thing is covered except for a small portion. I have since changed a few things like the hide. He wasnt using the log so I cut a walkway in a plastic tub and he loves it. Thankfully he stays at the one end so Ive rearranged for him. I appreciate the advice and help. I will make the changes.
I don't know what the bottom of your enclosure is made of. But your coco coir should be pretty moist. I pour warm water in and mix it up. When you grab a handful and squeeze it. No water should drip out of your hand. When you open your hand the clump should pretty much stay together. When you put the mulch on top spray it down. The mulch will help the coco coir not to dry out to fast.