Soon to be tortoise owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikaela

5 Year Member
Hi everyone:) I'm new here and need some advice. So I'm looking into buying a Russian tortoise, I've read that you shouldn't buy them from pet stores but I really have no option. The only possible place I could adopt for only adopts out to "members in good standing" I honestly don't know what that means and I'm sure it would take a while to becom in"good standing" with them. So i will probably buy from a pet smart or petco. Yes I'm going to find a vet and get it checked out. I need some advice on what type of products I should buy, like what lamps and the best and most inexpensive setup I could build. Thanks in advance!:)[/quote]

mainey34

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
Hello and welcome. Have you tried your local craigs list? There are also members here who have Russians for sale. Also its good to do some research before purchasing. You will be better prepared. Here is a care sheet to read....................................http://russiantortoise.net/

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Mikaela and welcome to the Forum!

A Russian (or steppe) tortoise is a good choice for a first tortoise. They can get to be very people friendly, and are pretty easy to care for.

Post your questions in the Russian tortoise section, and you will get help from our members about your concerns.

Mikaela

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone:) I've done a ton of research and found a lot of helpful forums on here, I guess I'm just nervous. Thanks again!

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Good for you for doing your research before getting a tortoise! What area are you from?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Hi and welcome to the forum. If u should run into any concerns after you get your tort, you're in the right place.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
"Good Standing" usually just means that your dues are current and paid. I would not give up so quickly on this option. You might get a great healthy long term captive.

Also, the best option is from a breeder. There are many right here on our forum. Do a post in the wanted section and see who answers. You might have to wait until springtime, but it is worth the wait to get a healthy CB baby.

WITortoiseMom

5 Year Member
I checked our local CraigsList (multiple areas in our region), and I found that no one gives up their tortoises. Lots of aquatic turtles, but no tortoises. :)

I did end up going to Petco AND PetSmart (bought one from each and house them in separate totes). I will have to take them to a vet as the whole parasite/wild-caught tortoise posts are scaring me.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Welcome to TFO and congratulations on thenew torts. I love my Russians, they are a great species

Status
Not open for further replies.