Something isn't right

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ontario
Both yesterday and today tank doesn't seem to want to leave his hide on his own. He sits with his head poking out. Sometimes looks like he's falling asleep. His temps are good on both sides perfect actually. I did add a new UVB light rainforest glo 5.0 24 inch long. I don't see that being the issue though any help on why he's not leaving his hide?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Is everything else normal? Eating, pooping, etc.? I know that the last few days, my leopard Tatum has not been waking up and coming out to eat as early as he usually does. But everything else if normal, so if don't really worry. I have also gone through him doing this before too. Kinds like me or humans in general. Sometimes I sleep in, most times I don't. Sometimes I am busy, sometimes, i'm not going to do anything. If everything else is okay and he eats when you bring him out, I wouldn't worry to much. Just make sure everything is okay with him first, shell not soft, things like that too. See what others have to say. Good luck, sure all is fine:)

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
wellington said:
Is everything else normal? Eating, pooping, etc.? I know that the last few days, my leopard Tatum has not been waking up and coming out to eat as early as he usually does. But everything else if normal, so if don't really worry. I have also gone through him doing this before too. Kinds like me or humans in general. Sometimes I sleep in, most times I don't. Sometimes I am busy, sometimes, i'm not going to do anything. If everything else is okay and he eats when you bring him out, I wouldn't worry to much. Just make sure everything is okay with him first, shell not soft, things like that too. See what others have to say. Good luck, sure all is fine:)

I seen him yawn once lol so maybe he is tired. Everything is normal yesterday when I forced him out he did eat all his food. But yesterday he sat inside his hut from 630am to 12 pm until I forced him out. I soaked him he went to the washroom had a large one really large which was different but seemed to come out fine. Even when I soaked him he sat there most of it which he does not do. Shell I hard so I really don't know. Has your guy just sat inside for long long while.

After I made that post he decided to move put and inch more lol so he could see more I guess.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Is there a storm in the forecast? It seems like tortoises (and many other animals) can detect changes in barometric pressure that indicate the coming of inclement weather. This might explain why he doesn't want to come out.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
There will be one next Sunday. sunny no cloud till then though. We had darker clouds yesterday little bit of rain but nothing bad.

Ten bucks says he will come put if I put mazuri Down

I'll try taking the light just seems so dark on the one side without.

Everyone owes me ten bucks haha he came out for mazuri.

If I push on the bottom of his shell the plastron I can push in a bit. I don't consider that soft shell though because If you push hard enough on a solid piece of wood it will flex and it just looks like it's flexing

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I really don't think you have anything to worry about. Keep an eye on the shell that you say moves. I only say that because it is too hard to know what you are talking about in describing it. However, they do move in a little,which is normal and that is what I think you are talking about. However, just play it safe and watch for a week or so. Mine has always come out of his hide, because if he sits there to long, I make him come out. They are lazy enough without pushing it:D. The weather changes can play a big role I am sure. It can even in the aquarium fish we keep. Even thought we provide everything for them, the changes in weather, rotation of earth, everything that they would be attentive to in the mass oceans, they haven't lost because we keep them in our aquariums. I would imagine the same for most animals, reptiles, etc. Yesterday and today, Tatum came out a 9:30 to eat. He is usually eating at 7:30, with lights on at 7:00. Lazy, slow last couple days here too.:D

Oh, BTW, the check is in the mail:p:D

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
Ok so he just went to the washroom and I'm finding it's taking him a little long to get it out. So I checked his droppings with paper towel and it's sorta pasty i guess. Like a thick paste. Stays solid in the water before it fell apart in the water any thoughts on this.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Mine never has had a problems letting loose of poop. Maybe a little constipated. Has he eaten any thing new to him, new food? I would soak him two to three times a day, until it and he gets back to normal. Someone might have another idea to make things move through smoother. I think plain can pumpkin, but I am not sure I am remembering that correctly. So hold off for others on this one. I do think though, it is a minor thing and all will be fine. Just keep an eye out until normal returns.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
wellington said:
I really don't think you have anything to worry about. Keep an eye on the shell that you say moves. I only say that because it is too hard to know what you are talking about in describing it. However, they do move in a little,which is normal and that is what I think you are talking about. However, just play it safe and watch for a week or so. Mine has always come out of his hide, because if he sits there to long, I make him come out. They are lazy enough without pushing it:D. The weather changes can play a big role I am sure. It can even in the aquarium fish we keep. Even thought we provide everything for them, the changes in weather, rotation of earth, everything that they would be attentive to in the mass oceans, they haven't lost because we keep them in our aquariums. I would imagine the same for most animals, reptiles, etc. Yesterday and today, Tatum came out a 9:30 to eat. He is usually eating at 7:30, with lights on at 7:00. Lazy, slow last couple days here too.:D

Oh, BTW, the check is in the mail:p:D

haha ill be waiting. I'm sure it's not soft shell goes in a bit when I squeeze enough but not when I push a little it's all good. He's being lazy I guess.

The newest food is fresh grass grown in his outside setup he eats it so fast. Alot of it also. Introduced opuntia weeks ago but does eat much.

He also sits in his corner all day lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.