Some advices for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dagui

5 Year Member
Its about Dagui, He used to be able to walk normally, but about 1 or 2 years ago, he started dragging his hind legs. His front legs and shell are still as strong and hard. Its just his back legs. Anyone had the same prob or any advice as to wats wrong with him. Other than tat backlegs, his doing find, appetite is great n pees n poos normal.

Here's a photo of how his back legs look. He just drags his legs although he can still retract his hind legs nicely when u try to pull his hind legs.

DSC00132.jpg

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
What substrate are you keeping your Star on?

Danny

Malaefic

5 Year Member
Dagui said:
Its about Dagui, He used to be able to walk normally, but about 1 or 2 years ago, he started dragging his hind legs. His front legs and shell are still as strong and hard. Its just his back legs. Anyone had the same prob or any advice as to wats wrong with him. Other than tat backlegs, his doing find, appetite is great n pees n poos normal.

Here's a photo of how his back legs look. He just drags his legs although he can still retract his hind legs nicely when u try to pull his hind legs.

DSC00132.jpg

When a tort is kept on a flat surface for a long time they tend to develop lazy hind legs
My Sheldon have this problem too when I got him (he’s adopted)
Anyway, what you can do is to tie a cap bottle below his shell with a ribbon to help him train his leg because when they get lazy legs, they use the wrong set of muscles to walk.
It will take a long long time but you will see improvements after some time

DonaTello's-Mom

5 Year Member
California, central coast
Malaefic said:
Dagui said:

DSC00132.jpg

When a tort is kept on a flat surface for a long time they tend to develop lazy hind legs
My Sheldon have this problem too when I got him (he’s adopted)
Anyway, what you can do is to tie a cap bottle below his shell with a ribbon to help him train his leg because when they get lazy legs, they use the wrong set of muscles to walk.
It will take a long long time but you will see improvements after some time

'tie a cap bottle below his shell with a ribbon to help him train his leg"
Can you post a picture of that please? I'm curious, thanks...:)

Dagui

5 Year Member
Oh a bottle cap under its shell. Is it these normal plastic cap or just an item that can help lift him up so that he has no choice but to try n walk with the rite muscles?
he is kept on flat surface.
Malaefic - How long does ur take to recover?

Malaefic

5 Year Member
Actually any item will do as long as it can lift it up to the correct height.

Mine has not recovered yet. It is just better but the right leg is still not well. Left hind is much better now though

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
I actually ... have had the same experience with a large female sully" ....
She became ill ... and took about 2 months to recupe ... during that time, in my ignorance ..She didnt move around all that much inside her enclosure . She recovered from her initial cold .. but as you stated I notice she was draggig her hind legs. About 1 year later she has recuped some , but still has some "leg drag" although .. cruises around like its no big deal ,eats well ,breeds ect. Interesting to hear others ideas and experiences too~
JD~:)

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Dragging the back legs can be from improper substrates (I have not heard of too flat of a substrate, but too soft of a substrate) major or minor medical problems, or several other issues. It worries me this has already been going on a year. Hopefully Danny comes back soon. If it were me, I would take the tort to an experienced tort vet.

Dagui-could you tell us about the substrate? Was anything different used at the time this happened?

Dagui

5 Year Member
He is living in a big plastic container n i only use newspaper n hay to lay on the container. I had brought him to the vet b4 but vet find that there was nothing wrong with it.

Had been looking around for solutions to it but can't find anything about it, until a few days ago that i stumble upon this website. Would very much appreaciate it if anyone could offer me any advices.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
The substrate in your enclosure is the problem. Newspaper and hay give no traction what so ever for walking properly. You need something in the enclosure that your tortoise can push against. Soil will work fine for this as will bark mulch.

Danny

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I agree with Danny! Some other options are coconut coir and aspen shavings. For the mulch, more specifically, cyprus mulch or orchid bark. Don't use pine or cedar woods or anything marked a mixed wood without specifying what is in it as some woods are toxic to torts. This substrate will let your tortoise live like a tortoise in the wild and dig and burrow. Look and see what you can find in local pet stores, online, and home improvement and garden stores.

Danny-is it too late for this tort, or do you think his muscles can build back up the strength over time?

Status
Not open for further replies.