Soil for outside enclosure

hcl113083

Location (City and/or State)
MA
Hi All-
I am planning ahead for spring and summer when my Russian can be outside. I am planning to make an enclosure and want to make sure I use safe soil. I contacted Miracle Gro and they said their Organic Raised Flower Bed would be fine, but I thought I would double check here. Any advice? TIA!

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
It's my understanding that anything from Miracle Group has a fertilizer in it. Even if it is organic, does that make it safe for tortoises? I'm no trying to cast aspersions, but do horticulturists know what is safe for tortoises? I'm just asking the question...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What is the reason you can't just use the dirt that is on the ground in that spot?

Soil is made from composted yard waste. Could be anything. Could be something toxic or irritating.

hcl113083

MA
What is the reason you can't just use the dirt that is on the ground in that spot?

Soil is made from composted yard waste. Could be anything. Could be something toxic or irritating.

It is a grassy area and I read that keeping them just on grass isn’t good so I wanted to add different substrates. I was thinking of a grass area, a dirt area, and then a rocky area.

I’m also looking to plant some seeds so she has great food to munch on so I need some good soil to grow them in as ours is clay and horrible. Nothing grows lol

Last edited:

hcl113083

MA
Thanks guys! I brought her to the vets yesterday (I just rescued her 12 days ago) and she’s underweight so I just want to do everything right for her and fatten her up.

Do you think the miracle gro for raised beds would be ok to plant the seed in if I don’t let her run through the bins like I had originally planned?

pawsplus

Nashville, TN
I have always just used the ground LOL. Every spring I dig up the viney stuff that accumulates in Beasley's own and put down fresh cypress mulch on select areas. Cypress mulch in her doghouse. Done!

Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks guys! I brought her to the vets yesterday (I just rescued her 12 days ago) and she’s underweight so I just want to do everything right for her and fatten her up.

Do you think the miracle gro for raised beds would be ok to plant the seed in if I don’t let her run through the bins like I had originally planned?
As long as there are no pesticides or other toxins, any store bought soil should be fine to grow tortoise food in. Just don't let the tortoise have access to the soil.