softshell turtle.. outside temps??

sasparilla1

Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, Ca
does anyone know how cold is too cold for a smooth softshell turtle outside?? I can't find anywhere online that talks about the temperatures they can withstand. I have my turtle in a pond outside now for the first time in her life she is over a year old and it reaches about 42- 45 degrees at night. Does anyone have any tips for keeping your turtles safe during winter?

MikeCow1

5 Year Member
Orange County, CA
I left my Florida softshell who I got last year as a hatchling and is about 4-5" outside all winter in my pond. Appears to have hibernated for part of it. But, he is up now and seems to be doing quite well.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
They are found here in Texas in frozen ponds . As long as it does not freeze solid then your ok .

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Is it a gulf coast smooth softshell turtle or a midland softshell turtle? I would say it's fine either way. They can withstand some incredibly cold waters so mid 40s isn't to extreme. Where is it kept now?

sasparilla1

Sacramento, Ca
thank you everyone for your help. She is still outside in the pond and seems to be doing great. it's been two nights now that reached the coldest at 42 degrees. this is my first time building a pond and i have a big platform dock she can get out on. but does she need to be able to get completely on land to hibernate? im sure she wont hibernate now but just wana make sure i do all i can for her.. thanks everyone sincerely!!

MikeCow1 said:
I left my Florida softshell who I got last year as a hatchling and is about 4-5" outside all winter in my pond. Appears to have hibernated for part of it. But, he is up now and seems to be doing quite well.

thank you!