Soft belly! Help!!

Brian Yammi

I have a 3mo sulcata, and i've been feeding it lettuce, im starting to give it mix green, it gets around 10 hours of sunlight a week, im still working on its outdoor enclosure. But I've noticed that I can feel the belly move when it breathes, am I not giving it enough calcium? Any help would be a life saver! :)

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
Lettuce are mostly water and with very minimum of nutrition. you need or can feed them with all kinds of broad leaf greens like kale, dandelion green, dandelion, grape leave, etc, etc.

Check the website below you will fine lots things that will benefit your sulcata.

http://thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/tortoise_home_1.asp

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
I have a 3mo sulcata, and i've been feeding it lettuce, im starting to give it mix green, it gets around 10 hours of sunlight a week, im still working on its outdoor enclosure. But I've noticed that I can feel the belly move when it breathes, am I not giving it enough calcium? Any help would be a life saver! :)
I'd try giving opuntia cactus, mulberry leaves, bok choy, and whatever you can find in here:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Sulcata-Diet-Sheet.52677/#post-505275
Hope he grows big & strong! :D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) I agree sounds pretty normal. But also, you do need to improve the diet. Also, if it's warm where you are right now, would help to get him outside a little more often if possible.
Also, please read Toms threads below in my post for proper housing and care.

Brian Yammi

Lettuce are mostly water and with very minimum of nutrition. you need or can feed them with all kinds of broad leaf greens like kale, dandelion green, dandelion, grape leave, etc, etc.

Check the website below you will fine lots things that will benefit your sulcata.

http://thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/tortoise_home_1.asp
Im starting to mix rose pedals with spring mix and few stuff I can find here and there, i dont know where I can get my greens at since I live in urban city.

Brian Yammi

Hello and Welcome:) I agree sounds pretty normal. But also, you do need to improve the diet. Also, if it's warm where you are right now, would help to get him outside a little more often if possible.
Also, please read Toms threads below in my post for proper housing and care.
I'm currently building an outside enclosure for Yammi so it can get more sunlight, I read Tom's thread but the only problem is I cant find where to get most of the greens on the list.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Thats the thing, its hard for me to find these greens. I would love to plant them in my backyard, where can I find mulberry or bok choy? Where do you get yours?
For you I'd check:
1- gardening centers (especially for the opuntia aka spineless cactus)
2-grocery & vegetable markets & super markets
3-neighbor's + friend's house

From where I get my plants:
1-Bok choy: Carrefour (labeled as Pak soy, that was a typo maybe)
2-Opuntia: our old house, originally from the plant market (pesticides were sprayed there last month so I have to wait)
3-Mulberry: planning to buy then wait for fertilizers to go away (my cousin has one)
Good luck! For the cactus pad you can order some online and plant them (the actual pads that is) :)!

Brian Yammi

For you I'd check:
1- gardening centers (especially for the opuntia aka spineless cactus)
2-grocery & vegetable markets & super markets
3-neighbor's + friend's house

From where I get my plants:
1-Bok choy: Carrefour (labeled as Pak soy, that was a typo maybe)
2-Opuntia: our old house, originally from the plant market (pesticides were sprayed there last month so I have to wait)
3-Mulberry: planning to buy then wait for fertilizers to go away (my cousin has one)
Good luck! For the cactus pad you can order some online and plant them (the actual pads that is) :)!
Thank you for the tips.