Soaking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casey666

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Connecticut
chase thorn said:
I do a least 10 to 30 minutes once a week. But he does have a soaking dish in his enclosure.
Mine has a soaking dish too but she never uses it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Every day for hatchlings up to a year for at least 30 minutes. Over a year, 3-4 times a week for 30 minutes or I do about every other day. Once a couple years old or so, I think you can lesson it to more like 1-2 times a week. That's what I have come up with over the last year reading different things on here, so that's my plan. You can adjust the soakings a little to better suit your schedule and also size/weight of tort might play into it if they are hard to lift or move:D

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
10 - 20 minutes is adequate. The frequency the tortoise will need depends on its age. I would recommend soaking hatchlings 1 - 2 times a day, and adults 1 to 3 times a week depending on the temperature and season.

pdelpizzo

10 Year Member!
Broward County
I soak my Russians just about every day. One of them will soak himself when he really needs it but I still put him in there most days. If the temp of the water is between 90-95 degrees he really enjoys it and will usually soak for awhile. The other tortoise isn't a fan of soaking but I do it every morning when he first emerges, before he warms up enough to climb out. Either way, I leave them untill they get themselves out.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I tend to let my tortoises do more decision making on their own, so where I once believed strongly in the forced soakings, I no longer do. A sick animal or a very young hatchling is one thing, but I let the rest do their own thing and decide if, when and how long they wish to soak.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Jacqui said:
I tend to let my tortoises do more decision making on their own, so where I once believed strongly in the forced soakings, I no longer do. A sick animal or a very young hatchling is one thing, but I let the rest do their own thing and decide if, when and how long they wish to soak.

I agree with Jacqui. Most tortoises will let you know when they've sat in the water long enough by beginning to pace and attempt to climb out of the container. They should be removed at that point. If they sit there for 10-15 minutes or more and are just sitting there, not drinking at all, there is little point of them remaining in the water. Most tortoises that are interested in drinking when placed in water will do so in a matter of the first few minutes.
Soaking should also not be used as a substitute for constant access to clean, fresh drinking water for a tortoise either. While most tortoises will eventually accept being picked up and placed in a container of water, which is unnatural for many species, some never do. Those that never do will usually immediately try to climb out of the water upon contact. This is especially true of many adult wild caught tortoises and some tortoises from drier climates. Those same tortoises will often drink from a shallow water dish that is at substrate level and easily accessible.
Soaking and/or access to clean drinking water is only one of three aspects of proper hydration. The other two that should go along with the tortoises body hydration are proper ambient air humidity and suitable substrate moisture levels.
Soaking every 2-3 days is more of a reassurance aspect and should be part of the above conditions, not the sole source.

MyBoyHarvey

5 Year Member
I try to soak my russian but he freaks out and fights his best to get out of the container i use, his water is always warm, never to cold or hot, the container is clear. but no matter what ive tried he freaks :p
am i not supposed to soak a russian..?

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Phoenix Arizona
MyBoyHarvey said:
I try to soak my russian but he freaks out and fights his best to get out of the container i use, his water is always warm, never to cold or hot, the container is clear. but no matter what ive tried he freaks :p
am i not supposed to soak a russian..?

I have no idea about Russians but one of mine would freak so ibput a rubber duck shaped traction thing in the bowl (the kind that int sandy) and she calmed down once she had traction. Might be worth a try to add traction if you decide to do soaks?

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Russian tortoises are a species that generally overall do not like being in water. So to have one that panics when placed in water is not unusual, but more the norm. I never water (soak) Russian tortoises, just provide them with access to clean, fresh drinking water and spray their enclosure about once a day. Most of mine also hate being sprayed with water and will usually run for cover when I do so.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
My Russians always have access to a shallow dish of water, changed daily. Sometimes they soak in it, rarely they drink from it, usually they just walk right through it. But it's always there, in case they need it.

As for bathing, I bathe them once a week (every Saturday morning) in warm water for 5-15 minutes. If the water is the right temperature, they just sit there comfortably for a few minutes. They rarely drink. After a while, they eliminate wastes, and then start trying to escape. Usually at that point, I take them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.