Soaking tips?(:

Status
Not open for further replies.

joseppa96

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
Hey guys, so every time I soak my two year old red foot Faven, I can't get the water to stay warm! I have this plastic container I soak her in, it's like a large food container that I took from my kitchen and designated as hers, so don't worry about germs or anything:) but I was just wondering if you guys had any tips? I don't want her to get cold, but I also want to be able to have her in there for a good twenty minutes, thank you!:)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Set it under the basking light or another heat source. What I do is soak my Leo in the bathroom sink. He poops, I pull plug and refresh the water. Either way. Oh, you can also set it on top of a heating pad.

joseppa96

5 Year Member
New Jersey
wellington said:
you can also set it on top of a heating pad.

I tried this, but it didn't seem to help at all/: maybe the container is too thick?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
How cold is the water getting?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That could be. If you don't have another container, set it under the basking light. Off to the side a little.

joseppa96

5 Year Member
New Jersey
I hadn't tested the temp. of the water, but it was cold to the touch, when that happened I would usually switch the water out for warmer water, and I would check it often as she soaked to make sure she wasn't cold

And I may try the basking light tomorrow:) I'll just have to figure out where to put it and how to hang it

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you have the room, put the soaking container, in the enclosure under the light. Then you don't have to mess the enclosure up to soak. Then just remove container when soak is over.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thats why were here. We can't always think of everything ourselves. So nice to get a lot of others minds working for us. Love this forum. Lets us ask a question and get good answers. Instead of having to think too much or search the Internet for a bunch of bad answers:)

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
I preheat my oven on broil so the top surface gets warm, turn it off, and put the container on that during the 20 minutes. It never gets cold. I open the oven door about half way through and it warms up some more. I check it with a thermometer gun to make sure it doesn't get too hot and the soaking water has never gone above 94 degrees.

And it seems the warmer the soaking water, the more eager the tort is to sit still and poop. When the water is in the low 80's it just kicks around wanting to get out.

Status
Not open for further replies.