Soaking Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akuma

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Stockholm Sweden
sameer said:
Does it poop when you put it under the shower?

No he does not. He loves to defecate in his pool often though. He usually has half his backbody submerged relaxing in the pool

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If I'm remembering correctly, your tortoise is a Russian. I took in about 10 Russians during the winter several years ago. Because its cold here and I didn't want them to hibernate, I had to set them up indoors. With the lights and heaters on them constantly, I knew they would dehydrate, so I soaked them once a week. All of those Russians absolutely HATED that soaking. Every time I put them in water they scrambled and scrambled the whole time. However, in the Spring, when I put them outside in their large pen, a pen that included a water tray, they all, at one time or another, climbed into the water on their own to take a drink. So, because of MY experience with Russians, I came to the conclusion that Russians just don't like a forced soak. That might not be "the Rule" but it certainly was true of my little group of Russians.

Yvonne

TobesterTort

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
If I'm remembering correctly, your tortoise is a Russian. I took in about 10 Russians during the winter several years ago. Because its cold here and I didn't want them to hibernate, I had to set them up indoors. With the lights and heaters on them constantly, I knew they would dehydrate, so I soaked them once a week. All of those Russians absolutely HATED that soaking. Every time I put them in water they scrambled and scrambled the whole time. However, in the Spring, when I put them outside in their large pen, a pen that included a water tray, they all, at one time or another, climbed into the water on their own to take a drink. So, because of MY experience with Russians, I came to the conclusion that Russians just don't like a forced soak. That might not be "the Rule" but it certainly was true of my little group of Russians.

Yvonne

You have a good memory! My tortoise is a Russian. =) I soaked mine because the previous owner did weekly, and she instructed me to do so. So much dirt came off of him when I soaked him, so I figured it was good that I did. I'm new to the tortoise world, so I readily admit that I don't know what's best for my tortoise yet but that is why I'm here. I think I'll try to soak Toby a few more times, and if he doesn't like it then I might not continue with the soaks. Thanks!

BethyB1022

5 Year Member
My sulcata hatchling absolutely loves bathtime. I soak him for about ten minutes a day and he walks around spreads out his arms and legs and dunks his head. I think it is a highlight of his day :)

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I believe in soaking a tort whom you don't feel is hydrated, but if you see the tort soak and drink on its own, then not to soak it. I have a webcam (or at least I did until the computer it was plugged into broke) so it was easy for me to tell that my tort loves water! That is, once I bought the correct dish. I went through about 6 dishes before finding one he'd use. It's has stairs. All the other ones he found too tricky. Also, moving the water to a warm area helped a lot. I now find him drinking on his own, and will make him a warm bath every once in awhile. I put in warm water and place him in the water in his enclosure. 90% of the time he stays in on his own for 5-10 minutes. The other times he's not in the mood. Long story short I think this is case by case.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
TobesterTort said:
My tortoise is not a baby. I was told from his previous owner that he is 5-10 years old, and that she got him 5 years ago. She said that Toby was about the same size now as when she got him, but he might have gotten a little bit bigger. However, when I posted his picture on another thread, a member said he looked closer to 25-30 years old! So I really don't know of his age. Does anyone know how to identify his age? Thanks for your input!

The previous owner was probably going by his size when they got him, not realizing that Russian tortoises don't get big. When I saw the picture of your tortoise he looks about full grown for that type of tortoise, that's why I said I figured he was 25 or 30 years old. He might be older, but not much younger. They don't get very big and yours is full grown.

Yvonne

Kymiie

5 Year Member
Nottinghamshire, UK
Funny you should mention that! Crush just had a bath and he hated it (as always) He always climbs out, hisses etc but its something i have to do because he smells of wee and poo after a few days, but i put him in the bath!! Then when i put him back in the enclosure hes runing around like a fart!
Yes tortoises hate everybody! They are independent reptiles and like to be alone or with another tort depending on species. All tortoises hiss and like click, just means they dont like it, but they are meant to be independant reptiles, but he will get used to it!!

samstar

5 Year Member
I soak mine once in two days and they love it only for the first 5 minutes, after that they try to get out of the bath tub and by than thay have pooped wholesale which is why I only soak them once in two days. I dont want them pooping out all their nutrients.

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
Funny all these Russians hating their baths. Ernie really seems to enjoy his. I soak him every 3 days or so, and he just sits and sometimes I've seen him fall asleep! The only time he tries to climb out is after hes done his business in the water...I never see him drink or soak himself in his enclosure though. He only goes in his water when hes passing through it haha

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
I used the sink in my utility room, to soak all my babies, and i have found if i place a towel in the water they like to rest on it and will relax.

My Russians love the towel and my box turtles are ok as long as no one starts climbing over them to get out.

I do put water in the pen but my Russians avoid it like the plague and my box turtles dip all the time.

I am sure by now you have figured out its normal....I would try placing a towel or the astro tuff in the container so they dont have that slick feeling under there nails.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
terracolson said:
I am sure by now you have figured out its normal....I would try placing a towel or the astro tuff in the container so they dont have that slick feeling under there nails.

This is a darned good idea! I had been told about the towel many years ago, but like most facts accumulated in the nether reaches, it had gone completely out of my mind (like me!).

Yvonne

samstar

5 Year Member
Suprisingly my stars pooped very little today when I soaked them for about 10 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.