soaking question: am I getting it into a bad habit?

eric joranson

Location (City and/or State)
Cape Cod ;MA / Co.Bluffs; Iowa
Due to a very dry winter; I have been giving my 8 month old Sulcata a daily 15 minute soak. He appears calm; drinks; is very relaxed; and every time defecates; both feces and urates. Before having to heat house with furnace; his soaks used to be only 3 times weekly. But with the furnace on; ambient air has become very dry.' so I have had to increase soaking to a daily routine. Back in those days he would do his business daily in one spot of his enclosure. And I used to clean it up daily. Now that soaks are every day; I have had very little to clean up in enclosure. about once in three days he resorts to his favorite "outhouse"; but most now takes place during warm water soaking. Stools are healthy and firm; as are the urates. I just wondered if I am going to end up with a tortoise who only stools when soaking.....and if that's a bad thing or not.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No, you won't. Many soak daily as hatchlings upto about two years of age should be soaked daily. They all will still poop where ever when they need too. Many torts use the soaks for their potty

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They will all poop normally when you stop soaking them this much.

I like that you are tuned in to your tortoise and made that modification to your routine based on conditions. I'd leave a thumbs up symbol if we had one.