Snappy is sick :(

Tara Rad

I just got snappy about a month ago for my son and everything has been going ok. I have been looking on this forum for the best information and she was happy and playful and eating a lot. Now she has become lethargic, her back legs are white and skinny and she is no longer eating. Also her eyes seem to be swollen and she hasn't opened them in days. I couldn't get an appointment with the vet until Saturday due to the holiday... Any input until then would be greatly appreciated as I am sick over the fact that she might be ill.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
What species and size?

How are you housing Snappy?

What are you using for heating, lighting and UV?

Where did you get Snappy?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Tara, and welcome to the Forum!

It would be helpful to us if you can post a picture of Snappy. We need more info in order to give you the help you need.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Pictures of the enclosure and the tort are real important at this point ! Then we can help !

Tara Rad

Snappy is a Russian which we got from pet smart. She is currently in a glass aquarium which I know is not good and we are working on building a better home for her. We realized we were using the wrong bulb for her so we just moved the aquarium in the sunlight on our kitchen table for now until we can find a better spot for her bigger housing.

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Did the pet store sell you one of those coil type bulbs? If yes, then your baby probably has sore eyes. Hopefully the damage will heal and he will feel better in a few days.

In the mean time keep temps warm and do some daily soaks to keep him hydrated.

Here is the care info for russians. The pet store tell you all the wrong stuff, so this should get you back on track. Conditions have to be right for your baby to get better. Read these and make the needed adjustments and things should get better.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Snappy looks on the thin side. In order to get some nutrients into her, try the baby food soaks:

Using a tub with tall sides, but a small footprint (so you don't have to use too much baby food) add a half jar of Gerber strained carrots. Add warm water until it comes up to the middle of the tortoise's sides and stir it all together. Leave Snappy sitting in this solution for at least a half hour, checking on her frequently to make sure she's ok. If your house is in the '70's, don't worry about the water getting cold. You should see improvement in the eyes in three days. Then, once her eyes are open, make sure she has a bunch of food daily. Start her out on something like this: Endive, escarole, radicchio, turnip greens, dandelion greens, etc. Once a week you can add a tiny pinch of calcium powder, but not too much or she won't eat.

A word of caution - if you decide to take Snappy to the vet, don't allow a vitamin injection. Too much vitamin A causes the skin to slough off. It's very easy to get vitamin A into a tortoise through their food. They don't need an injection.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum.

Very sorry to have read that Snappy is ill. Have you taken her to the vet? Please let us know and good luck.